||53||

I sat in the Range Rover beside Seth in the back seat as we pulled up to Newport Union. It was where Marissa would now be attending for her senior year.

"Newport Union- Orange County's answer to public education." Seth stated, glancing at the school through the window. It looked pretty standard for a high school. I had no reason to complain, it looked way nicer than Chino High School where Ryan and I'd attended our freshman year.

"You know the parking lot looks spacious." Seth remarked.

"Yeah and well lit " I added with a nod.

"Yeah, plus you're up on a hill. It'll probably get a good breeze." Ryan added.

I sighed and glanced at Marissa, who was just staring out the window at the school.

"Are you sure this is what you want, Mariss?"

"Look, I don't really have a choice, Ally. I mean even if I hadn't gotten kicked out of Harbor, my mom can't afford private school anymore."

I wondered how Marissa and her mom were going to adjust to their financial situation. Sandy had told us that at the reading of Caleb's will, it was revealed he was bankrupt. One good thing came out of the will reading, though. Kirsten finally got closure from a letter Caleb had left her and she was able to come home. It was a very happy reunion when she'd came home last week. It was so nice to have her back around the house.

"Well I told you, you can always homeschool with me." Ryan told her.

"I know, but I really think this is going to be fine,  I mean honestly its kind of nice to be somewhere where everybody doesn't know every little detail about your life and you don't have to be stared at all the time."

"I get that." I told her, smiling slightly.

"Okay, I'm gonna go." Marissa said, unbuckling her seatbelt and grabbing her bag.

"Alright, I'll pick you up this afternoon." Ryan told her.

"Bye, Mariss." I stated and Marissa smiled at us before getting out.

"Bye."

We watched as she walked through the crowd of kids and made her way to the lockers.

"And that was the last they ever saw of her." Seth muttered and I glanced at him, then back at Marissa. She'd be fine, right?

~~~~
I walked into the student lounge with Seth and saw Summer sitting on the couch surrounded by lots of binders and fliers.

"Wow, Miss Social Chair, look at you." I remarked, making Summer look up at me. 

"I always thought that social chair was a ceremonial position like Rose Bowl Queen or President. How'd Marissa do it all?" 

"I have no idea, but if you need any help, I'm always here." I told her with a smile. 

"Well, since you're offering, I could use some help with figuring out what decorations we need for the dance." 

I smiled and nodded, sitting down beside her on the sofa. I glanced up as Dean Hess walked over to Seth.

"Cohen. I took a little tour of the boys locker room last night. I'm surprised the entire track team doesn't have trench foot, so I'll see you there at three."

"Ok. You sure this is detention? It's got more of a work release feel." Seth stated and Dean Hess glanced at him, then over at Summer and I. 

"Like I said, you give up the person who helped you steal the tiki hut and this can go easier on both of you."