Chapter 37

4 months has passed since her argument with Caleb and CJ. She was in another state, living in relaxation for once. She thought about starting her own operation after she gives birth and she was ready mentally and physically to start things up. She had enough money that would last her years, so she wasn't worried about rushing it.

Monae is currently in a lamaze with other pregnant women. Most women had their significant other but Monae was by herself. After the class, Monae began walking to the car until someone stopped her. It was a woman and a man from the class.

"Baby, go to the car quick", said the woman.

The man walked away.

"Monae right?", asked the woman.

Monae nods.

"I um...I noticed that you usually come by yourself", said the woman.

"Yea", said Monae.

"So...does that mean you're single?", asked the woman.

"Why?", asked Monae as she made a face.

"Sorry, I know that sounded weird. I was just asking for a friend", said the woman.

"Friend? Your friend wants a pregnant woman?", asked Monae.

"Looks like you're due to pop at any minute to me", said the woman.

"I'll pass", said Monae as she faked smiled and walked to her car.

"Okay, see you another time then", said the woman.

"Weird bitch", Monae mumbled.

Monae got into her car and let out a sigh. Her feet were hurting and swollen. She didn't need a man to feel good about herself but during a time like this, she wish she was in a relationship. She wished that Tyren didn't keep secrets and she wished that she understood Caleb's motive.

Monae started the car and began driving. Even though she couldn't get back with Tyren, she imagined the times they were together, frequently. She also thought about the good times her and Caleb had.

As she drove, she received a text message from a number that isn't saved in her phone. .

MESSAGE
Unsaved number : hey Monae, this is CJ. Since you blocked me, I got a new number. I know you've been ignoring my messages and calls but hopefully you at least reading them. Mama in the hospital and she's in a coma. I don't know what happened, but it happened at work.

Monae read the message in disbelief. She didn't know whether to believe him or not. She knew she didn't want to take any chances of not seeing her mom in a condition like that after they just got back on good times. Her mom was the only person she kept in touch with.

Monae used her flip phone to call her mom, but her mom never answered. She called multiple times.

Monae drove straight to the airport.

Later that day, Monae got into an Uber and went to her mom's house. Her mom's car was outside but nobody was answering the door. Monae pulled her phone out to call the number CJ texted her from. That's when somebody on the other end of the answered and it wasn't CJ.

"Hello", said a guy on the other end of the phone.

"Who is this?", asked Monae.

"You don't remember me? You don't remember my voice?", asked the guy.

"Where's my mother and what do you want from me?", asked Monae.

"You can't give me anything. This pay back", said the guy.

"If you hurt my mother, I'll—"

"You'll do nothing. You're pregnant. Looks like you're about what? 9 months already", said the guy.

Monae began to look around.

"Listen, I don't know what game this is but you need to give me my mom and nobody gets hurt", said Monae.

The Uber driver got out of his car.

Monae looked at him.

"The only person that I want to hurt is you", said the guy that got out of the Uber.

Monae moved the phone from her ear. It was the same guy that was at her house that night and she didn't even realize. She was usually so attentive to her surroundings but she was so worried about her mom that she didn't even care to look at the driver.

Monae began going toward the house but the guy grabbed her. CJ was pulling up as this happened. The guy put Monae in the backseat.

"Mo?!", CJ shouted as he got out the car and began running to the car Monae was being put into.

The guy rushed the driver's seat and sped off.

CJ ran back to his car and tried to follow him. He was on the phone with Caleb at the same time.

"Somebody just kidnapped Monae", said CJ.

"What?", asked Caleb.

"I went to my mom's house because I ain't heard from her and Monae was there. Somebody put her in the back and I left. I'm following them now", said CJ.

"Plates?", asked Caleb.

"Um MKL 243", said CJ said.

"What the nigga look like?", asked Caleb.

"Dark skinned, dreads. Man I don't really know, I too busying worrying about my fucking sister", said CJ.

"That color is the car?", asked Caleb.

"Black. It's a charger", said CJ.

Suddenly, car cuts in front of him and the light turns red so they stop.

"Fuck!", CJ shouted because he couldn't get over. "I lost them"

"Damn", said Caleb.

"Who the fuck could this be?", asked CJ.

"Monae ain't have no beef with nobody around here", said Caleb. "I don't know."

"Maybe she didn't but what if somebody else did?", asked CJ.

"Who? Ty?", asked Caleb.

"Yes. They probably think they dating and that's Ty's baby", said CJ.

Caleb sighs.

"You know what you gotta do", said CJ. "You gotta ask him."

"If I ask him, I'll probably end up killing him or he killing me before I even speak", said Caleb. "You gotta do it."

"Where is he?", asked CJ.

"He moved into some house in the country", said Caleb.

"Alright. Send me the address.", said CJ.

"Alright", Caleb replied.