Prologue.

Sitting amongst all these books should have felt relaxing. After all, I loved the escapism that came with a good book - the ones that pulled you away to a far off land filled with interesting people that faced insurmountable odds in the most bizarre of situations. Somehow the good always won and the guy always got the girl. You knew going in that everything would be alright in the end.

Looking around at the books stacked high on the floor to ceiling shelves surrounding me, I wondered if any had that expected happy ending. Somehow I doubted it. These were no works of fiction; these were the written accounts experienced by real people, facing really bad odds in terrifying situations. These were the stories of real people like me. To think that each book represented another person that had sat here in this very spot, waiting to give their version of events to Old Man Keep, was mind boggling. How could I even begin to explain all that had happened to me over these past few weeks? Had it only been a few weeks? Wow. That realisation seemed impossible. I had changed so very much in such a short period of time. Back then I hadn't even known who I was — what I was capable of. I had been unsure, and blind to so much. Back then I had been normal. Now? I took a deep breath. Magic surged within me like a flowing tide just waiting for release. The hairs on my arms raised with the vibrational charge my aura gave off, like a fight or flight response. Months ago I may have fled; now I was ready to fight.

"Rose?" The warm voice broke my thoughts and I stood, probably quicker than I had meant to. "My dearest Rose, I am so delighted to meet you." The old man reached out his hand to greet me. His face was worn with age, small wrinkles around kind eyes that likely came from the broad smile he wore. His silver beard was well kept, only a shade lighter than his hair and it suited his face well. He was well built and no doubt strong once upon a time. My magic simmered back down and I took his offered hand. "If you'd follow me, we'll get started." He smiled, deepening his eye wrinkles.

He turned back the way he had come, his polished shoes echoing on the parquet flooring. I followed him through the large open archway at the far end of the Library and out into a grand walkway. The sound of our footsteps muffled as we traversed onto the deep red lush carpeting of the long wood panelled corridor. I looked from one side to the other, no end in sight in either direction. My nerves started to get the better of me as I quickened my pace to catch up. For an old man he was really quite spritely and I definitely didn't want to get lost in here. We passed archway upon archway, each giving a similar view of a room lined with shelves that were all stacked high with books. I'd lost count of how many we'd passed when he finally turned into one of them.

This room was very different. No lush carpet or wood panelling in here, and no bookcases either, just hard stone floors and walls with candles in sconces. Another archway stood at the other end of the room, this one with large iron gates and a huge stained glass window on either side. I studied the Guardians depicted in coloured glass, their huge wings outstretched behind and their bright golden light surrounding them. Truly magnificent pieces of art. In fact, this whole room had a distinct church vibe, right down to the intricately carved font filled with water in the centre of the room. Old Man Keep stood by its side, a silver goblet in hand. It was just as beautifully decorated as the font and I could feel an immense amount of power emanating from it. I instinctively gravitated towards it as he ladled up some water. As I got closer I realised the goblet depicted the Triple Goddess Herself with Maiden, Mother, and Crone. I reached for the cup.

"This will help keep your memories both relevant and clear." He smiled. I tentatively put it to my nose and sniffed. "It's water. Drink." I took the smallest of sips. It was a lot more refreshing than I had expected and I drank it down, thirsty for more. I couldn't remember the last time water tasted so good.

An image flashed in my mind, bright and clear: I was half unconscious partly strapped to a chair in a lab. Glass beakers had smashed on the floor, papers were blown everywhere, wooden chairs lay splintered on the floor, lights hung down from the ceiling at funny angles. Raven was putting a cup to my lips, a large wolf at her side.

As quick as the vision had appeared, it was gone and I was once again standing next to the font. "What was that?" I demanded, a little unnerved.

"That was a memory of the last time water tasted so good." Old Man Keep took the goblet from me, acting as if everything were as it should be.

"A memory?" Yes, I suppose it had been. But it had felt so real, as if I was reliving it rather than simply remembering it. I hadn't had the same feelings of fear, dread, and of relief as I knew I'd experienced when it had happened the first time, but the detail was so clear, right down to the writing on the dishevelled paperwork. Wait, it had said...

"This way please." Old Man Keep gestured with his hand towards the large iron gates. They swung open. "Come, come." He walked on. As he stepped through the gateway, a bright golden light surrounded him and then he was gone. I hesitated, briefly unnerved. I took a deep cleansing breath and felt my magic stir within me. I could do this. My resolve hardened and I walked through the gateway, the warm golden light surrounding me and permeating through every cell of my being. I felt the vibrations of life everywhere all at once. Everything from the smallest of creatures to the largest of mountains and the oldest of trees. My body hummed with them all. A second later, it was gone and I was partly sorry for it. As overwhelming as the power had been, it had felt wonderful at the same time. Part of me wanted to experience it again.

I blinked a few times. The stone room had gone; I was now in what looked to be an office. "Come. Sit." Old Man Keep gestured to one of the chairs in front of the fireplace. A fire sprang to life in the hearth, crackling as if it had always been there. I sat in the comfy tall backed chair taking in my surroundings. The parquet flooring and wall panelling were back, but only one bookcase was in here. A large wooden desk sat in the middle of the room. Heavy red velvet curtains were suspended at the window behind it, gold coloured tassels holding them back to frame the view. Outside all I could see were clouds; it looked to be a bright sunny day, but I could see no trees, no hills, no landscape of any kind. I sat up straighter, straining to see lower. Perhaps we were high up a mountain.

Old Man Keep sat at the desk, placing a small pair of metal spectacles on. I watched as he picked up a fountain pen and a parchment of paper. "Start at the beginning." He gestured, pen poised ready to begin recording my version of events.

The beginning? An image flashed in my mind... Graduation.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE If you find any spelling or grammatical errors, I would much appreciate you commenting on them

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE If you find any spelling or grammatical errors, I would much appreciate you commenting on them. I would love my book to be as polished as possible, and I'm sure there will be one or two mistakes along the way. I appreciate your feedback. 

Thank you for your kindness.