Chapter 3

Half an hour later, I stood at the front door with Willow. I tied my trainers and shifted my bag up on my shoulder, ready to go. Willow smiled, opening the door. "Let's go."

"Hold up!" Called Declan, running down the stairs to catch up. "I'm coming with you."

Willow frowned. "You can't."

"It's my sister that's been taken and I'm coming with you." His voice brooked no argument as he marched past us down the front path. He stopped at the end and looked both ways. "Where are we going?"

I hid my chuckle and turned to Willow. "Where are we going?"

"To see your grandmother, of course." She shook her head as though we were idiots and continued down the road on foot.

I shrugged. "I guess we're walking." Declan and I followed Willow across the park towards the old woods. I hadn't been there in years; Wynne and I used to hang out there when we were younger with Dee and Raven. The four of us never got into any big trouble, we just liked to have somewhere to hang out and the dark woods were somewhere to get away from it all. We never went to the heart of the woods though; once you got to the creek it got really creepy. And that was exactly where we seemed to be heading.

"Not far to the Gateway now," said Willow as she stepped across the stones of the creek. The creepy feeling intensified and I really wanted to turn back. I hesitated. "Come on!" encouraged Willow.

"Something feels off." I turned to look at Declan, who was suddenly looking really pale.

"It'll be worse for you." stated Willow. "You're human."

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"The Guardian that protects this Gateway has deterrents in place so humans stay away. We feel them, but not as intensely. Keep going. When we get to the Guardian you should start feeling better."

"Who is the Guardian?" Declan asked, a slight tremor still in his voice.

"Each Gateway has its own Guardian. Their job is to make sure only the right people can cross through. Humans aren't allowed to leave this realm. The Gateway ensures our safety. That's why I said you couldn't come. You will have to convince the Guardian of your worthiness. Only then do you have a chance of leaving."

"Worthiness? Like a test or something?" I asked.

"The Guardian will read our intentions to ensure that no harm is intended for anyone in the realm we're heading to." She explained.

"Which realm are we heading to?" I wasn't sure how many realms there were; it all sounded like science fiction to me.

"We're just travelling to the Otherworld. It's where a variety of species live in harmony together. The witches live on part of the main island called The Cove and it's my favourite part of the Otherworld. Although I may be biassed." She pursed her lips as if contemplating that fact.

"So you're a witch?" I asked. I thought back to her healing me in the hospital. I guess that made sense somehow. If any of this could make sense.

She laughed. "Of course. Just like you."

It was my turn to laugh. "I'm not a witch."

She laughed again. "Of course you are, silly."

I turned to Declan, who looked just as confused as I did. He shrugged. We climbed up a particularly steep hill, the rocks and dirt slipping from beneath my feet. Declan caught my arm and heaved me up the hill with him. He still looked pale and his breathing was ragged. I knew this wasn't a case of him not being fit enough to hike through the woods, this was likely the Guardian's deterrent Willow had spoken of.