Chapter Four / Call Me Anytime

"IT WOULDN'T SURPRISE me if that little dickhead was the one behind it

"IT WOULDN'T SURPRISE me if that little dickhead was the one behind it."

Leaving the station behind felt like pulling a tooth.  Ellie was reluctant to be away from her family longer than undoubtedly necessary,  dragging her feet down to the lobby until she saw Rory's car pull into the parking lot.  A text from Tara updating her on where she has disappeared to was met with a request  (demand?)   for her to go back to her and Sam's apartment.

She's been withholding this information from Rory for a reason.  Everything else,  however,  is free game.

Despite herself Ellie giggles at Rory's decisive remark,  shifting in the passenger seat until she's facing her friend entirely.  "Ethan?  He's a little guy!"

"Yeah,  probably in more ways than one."  Rory scoffs,  taking Ellie's sound of shock as an opportunity to continue.  "Let's be real here,  gumdrop.  He's a total incel creepo who happens to be dating Buffy.  If he weren't,  would you seriously trust him?"

A beat too long to back up Ellie's defenses passes,  sinking into a silence that only answers her friend's question.   There's a guilt behind this that Rory can gauge regardless of how shallow people believe her to be,  one that hangs in the air surrounding her like a damp cloth.  She hates not being able to completely trust Ethan,  especially not when she can trust everyone else so wholly.   "You got me,"  she admits.   "Ethan's kinda weird.  He reminds me of Jason,  y'know?   He's just so...so..."