Chapter Thirteen / Love Means Sacrifice

“I DIDN'T NEED you to propose a pity lunch,  Ellie

“I DIDN'T NEED you to propose a pity lunch,  Ellie.”

It's not surprising that Mom waits for Dad,  Abi,  and Lou to find the group seating before she speaks up.  Ellie-Marie knew it wouldn't go unspoken,  knew it from the moment Mom graciously accepted her offer with a barely perceptible hesitation.  She's never taken kindly to interference,  even well intentioned.  It's why Ellie asked the other members of their little group to find a place to sit while she and Gale ordered.  It's also why Abi cut her a soft look of reprimanding over her shoulder.

Ellie-Marie loves her mother.  That doesn't mean mildly upsetting her isn't the same thing as wearing a belt of salmon and running away from a group of starving bears.

“It isn't a pity lunch,”  she says, keeping her focus on the menu ahead.  Chicken alfredo sounds really good right now- or maybe she's just hungry.  She hasn't eaten in…

Yeah,  no,  she's starving.  A side of garlic bread sounds good,  too.

“Really?”   Mom doesn't seem to be as occupied as Ellie is currently forcing herself to be,  her stare baring into the side of her head.   “So offering right when that glee club zygote shot me down was just poor timing?”

“You caught me.  How does a blackened chicken po’boy sound?  You love those.”

Mom makes a noise of what Ellie believes to be surprise.  “You remember that.”