Chapter 2

"Mac wait," Greg said trying to catch up to the girl. Macie stopped with a huff but didn't turn to face the boy. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No I just-were you really going to sit there and let your brother get beat up?" Macie asked.

"What?" Greg asked.

"Duffy was going to beat up your brother," Macie said, "And you just sat there."

"My dad took care of it," Greg said.

"And what if your dad wasn't there?" Macie asked.

"Then I would have taken care of it," Greg said, "But honestly Keithie can handle his own. He doesn't always need my help. Why are you getting so worked up about this?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry," Macie said, "I guess just seeing him make fun of Donna's shoes put me in a bad mood."

"Want me to beat him up for you?" Greg asked.

"He's like twice your size," Macie said, "He'd definitely crush you."

"Hey!" Greg said offended making Macie laugh, "Your smiles really pretty."

"Thanks," Macie laughed as Greg stared at her. He was trying to work up the courage to move to number three of his dad's program. "Is there something on my face?"

"No. No. Uh, you ready to go to class?" Greg asked.

"Uh yeah. Let's go," Macie furrowed her brows at how weird Greg was acting today. I mean he always acted weird but today he was being especially weird.

----

"All right little birds find your nest now," the teacher said as the bell rang, "Float down. There we go, now we're in. All right guys, normally we don't have exciting news this late into the term but we have a new student joining up today. Braden Higgins." Macie stared at the guy standing next to their teacher. There was no way this guy was young enough to be in high school. "There's an empty seat right over there man. Why don't you go cop a squat?"

Braden walked toward the back of the room completely ignoring the teacher. He stopped right beside Macie looking at the boy behind her. The boy was so terrified he pulled out how wallet offering it to Braden. "No. I sit here."

"Is your dad Marcus Higgins?" Greg whispered as the boy sat down.

"Yeah, I've known him since I was a baby. He's the funniest," Andre agreed.

"The best. Great, great man," Greg said.

"Are you guys high?" Macie whispered, "Higgins is an idiot. No offense."

"I wanna smash his face," Braden replied.

"Yeah me too," Andre agreed.

"I hate that guy," Greg added.

"Screw him."

----

Macie walked beside Andre and Greg as they exited the school. The final bell rang and summer had officially begun. "Sup man," Andre said as they approached Braden.

"Your dad picking you up?" Greg asked.

"Uh..I don't know," Braden said, "I told him it'd be cool if he stayed late at the soup kitchen, so it's on me."

"Soup kitchen?" Macie whispered to Greg who just shrugged.

"Well you can come on the bus with us if you want," Andre offered.

"Nah, how about we do something fun?" Braden asked, "How about we do something we're not supposed to do?"

"All right sure," Andre said as he followed after the boy.

"Greg," Macie said grabbing the boy's arm, "I don't know about this."

"Why not? What's wrong?" Greg asked.

"We don't even know him," Macie said, "For all we know he could be a serial killer."

"He's not a serial killer," Greg laughed, "He doesn't even look...okay maybe he looks like one but I guarantee you he isn't."

"Either way I think I'm gonna pass," Macie said.

"You sure?" Greg asked, "It is the first day of summer."

"Yeah I'm kinda tired anyway," Macie said, "My dad snores so loud he wakes up the neighbors two blocks away."

"All right. I'll see you later then?" Greg asked.

"Yeah. You working tonight?" Macie asked.

"First day on the job," Greg replied.

"Maybe I'll stop by," Macie said, "Wouldn't be the first day of summer without a little ice cream."

"See you then," Greg smiled. As Macie turned to walk away he couldn't help but stare at her. He needed to get over his fear and just ask her out already but he was worried. What would happen if she didn't feel the same way? It would definitely ruin their friendship and he didn't want to sacrifice that.

"Greg!" Andre yelled catching the boy's attention, "You coming?" He sent one last glance toward Macie before walking toward the two boys.

"Your girlfriend not coming?" Braden asked.

"Oh, Macie, she-she's not my girlfriend," Greg stuttered.

"He wished she was his girlfriend," Andre said earning a smack from Greg, "What?! It's true!"

"Shut up," Greg mumbled.

"Why you not ask her out?" Braden asked.

"He's too scared," Andre said, "He's afraid it will ruin their friendship."

"Jesus dude. Do you have to spill all my secrets?" Greg asked.

"Well I wouldn't really consider it a secret," Andre said, "You've been in love with Macie ever since the day you met her when we were 13. You need to grow some balls or someone's gonna ask her out."

"I know! I'm working up to it," Greg said, "Let's just go."