Chapter 3

"This is the best vanilla pudding I've ever had," Bean said eating from a bowl.

"That's butter, son," Eric corrected.

"Bean that is totally disgusting," Macie gagged.

"Are you guys excited for the Feder party tonight?" Eric asked.

"Oh, I almost forgot Roxanne decided the party needed a theme!" Sally said.

"What theme?" Macie asked. Hopefully, whatever it was she had something to wear.

"The 80s!" Sally smiled.

"The 80s?" Bean asked, "That was 70 years ago." Eric immediately dropped his fork onto his plate. Macie had to cover her mouth to keep from laughing.

"I'm gonna go get ice cream tonight before the party," Macie said, "It's Greg's first night at work and I told him I'd stop by."

"You've been spending a lot of time with Greg lately," Sally said eyeing her daughter.

"Well he is my best friend," Macie said.

"Best friend or boyfriend?" Sally asked making Eric choke on his food.

"No. No. No. No. No," Eric said, "You're not allowed to have a boyfriend until you're at least 35."

"Eric," Sally said.

"I think 35 is a bit old but don't worry," Macie said, "I most definitely do not have a boyfriend."

"Our daughter is a beautiful young woman," Sally said, "She's going to start dating soon. And I definitely know she could do worse than Greg Feder." Her family continued to talk about different things but Macie tuned them out. Why would her mom think that she and Greg were dating? The two had been best friends for four years. Wouldn't it be weird if they dated? Though if Macie thought about it Greg wouldn't be a bad boyfriend. They already knew everything about each other, knew each other's families, and he was pretty attractive. Macie would be lying if she said she'd never had a crush on Greg. When they first met she thought the boy was very cute. But the more they got to know one another the closer they got making them best friends. After a while she just pushed the feeling away because it's weird to date your best friend...isn't it?

----

"I don't care who your parents are. You screw up, I fire you," Bailey said looking at Greg.

"It's all good," Greg said as he held three ice cream cones.

"It's all good?" Bailey mocked the boy, "This is a family restaurant, not a rap show."

"It's all bad?" Greg corrected.

"That's right. It is," Bailey said, "You got a customer."

"I'm sorry. Welcome to the Ice Cream House," Greg said walking up to the window. A smile immediately came to his face when he saw Macie standing there.

"Hey, Greg," the girl smiled. As soon as she smiled at him Greg grew nervous and accidentally crushed the cones that were in his hands. What was wrong with him today?

"Umm is crushing cones a part of your job?" Macie asked.

"Uh, uh yeah. That was a squeeze test," Greg assured, "These cones failed. We're thinking of trying cardboard cones next."

"You're such a dork," Macie laughed.

"Number two," he mumbled to himself, "Your smiles really pretty."

"So you told me earlier," Macie said, "Are you sure you're feeling all right?"

"Uh yeah. What can I get you?" Greg asked chickening out of the last step.

"Maybe just some vanilla ice cream in a cup," Macie said, "You know since the cones can't pass the squeeze test."

"Coming right up," Greg nodded. Macie went to pull money out of her wallet, "Oh I got it."

"You sure?" Macie asked.

"Yeah. I'll let you know when we have it done," Greg said.

"Thanks," Macie smiled putting the money back into her wallet.

"Your father used to do that same three-step crap when we were kids," Bailey said when the girl walked away, "He was usually successful with it. Even on my wife." The man threw the ice cream scoop hitting a girl in the head and making her fall to the ground.

Greg sighed as he went to make the ice cream for Macie. Why couldn't he just get to step three? It really didn't seem like it was that hard. He walked out to give Macie her ice cream but stopped as soon as his eyes landed on her. The girl was laughing at something the boy standing next to her had said. He wasn't just any boy, it was Jake Smith, arguably one of the most popular boys in school. "Here's your ice cream."

"Thanks," Macie smiled taking the cup.

"Hey man, you're Craig right?" Jake asked.

"Greg," he corrected.

"Oh right, sorry," Jake said.

"Well it was nice talking to you Jake," Macie said.

"Yeah you too," Jake said, "You'll think about what I asked?"

"Yeah," Macie said as the boy sent her a smile and walked away.

"What did he ask?" Greg asked.

"Uh it was nothing," Macie said.

"It was obviously something," Greg pushed.

"He just asked if I'd like to go get dinner and see a movie sometime," Macie said, "It's not a big deal."

"What did you tell him?" Greg asked.

"That I'd think about it," Macie said.

"So are you gonna go?" Greg pushed.

"Geez. What's with the third-degree?" Macie asked, "Since when do you care about who I go on dates with?"

"I don't," Greg said quickly.

"Kinda seems like you do right now," Macie said.

"I'm just saying Jake's like one of the most popular boys in school," Greg said.

"So?"

"So...why would he be asking you out on a date," Greg said.

"Excuse me?" Macie scoffed, "What am I not pretty or popular enough to go on a date with Jake Smith?"

"No. Mac that's not what I meant," Greg said.

"No, I get it. A guy like him wanting to take me on a date must possibly mean something fishy is going on," Macie said getting mad, "I mean God forbid he might actually just find me attractive."

"Come on Mac. I just meant that I want you to be careful," Greg said.

"Whatever," Macie huffed, "I gotta get home so I can get ready for the party."

"Macie!" Greg called after the girl as she stormed away. She only stopped for a second so that she could throw away the uneaten ice cream into the trash can. "Way to go dipshit...now you'll be lucky if she even talks to you."