Chapter 3

(I dedicate this chapter to Spiritsx)

Slinking across the ground I swallowed a low growl, drawing closer to the large mouse sitting a few tail-lengths away. Fighting back the urge to flick my tail through the air, I tucked it closer and inched forward. Drawing my back legs in, I pushed off from the ground, sailing smoothly through the air before slamming back into the ground, claws brushing the mouse's rough tail as it squeaked and darted off. Reacting quickly, I lunged forward, swiping a paw at the mouse and knocking it off balance, slamming my paw down on the stunned mouse I leaned down, wrapping my jaws around its small neck and biting down, the gray creature stilling as bones snapped between my teeth. Releasing the limp prey I stood, turning towards a rocky outcrop as Appleblossom stepped out from behind it.

 Releasing the limp prey I stood, turning towards a rocky outcrop as Appleblossom stepped out from behind it

(I couldn't get his spotted pelt down but this is very close to what I imagine Ferretpaw to look like)

" Great job," Appleblossom purred, long tail flicking through the air as she padded closer. Warm pride burst through my skin as I took a step back, licking blood off my lips as the calico she-cat dipped her head, sniffing the mouse and rolling it around with her paw. " A little messy but I'm sure Birchshine will appreciate it." Curling my lip in annoyance I held back a snort, Goosepaw and I haven't eaten in two days but Birchshine got to stuff her face every day. " Now, I made a promise. Let's put this away for now and go find somewhere to train." Grinning widely, I scooped up the mouse and padded over to a crevice, dropping the limp prey into it and piling pebbles on top to keep it hidden from predators. Bounding after my mentor I scrambled over a large pile of boulders, pleased to find that it wasn't as much of a struggle as it was a moon ago.

" Ferretpaw!" Goosepaw called, blinking in surprise I glanced over my shoulder, spotting the gray pelt of my brother weaving through the mountainside with his blue-gray mentor in tow. " Wait up!" Claws itching with impatience, I watched with flattened ears as Goosepaw picked his way slowly towards us, occasionally getting his paw caught or slipping, I had to fight back a snicker when his paw slipped out from underneath him and he slammed onto his flank. After a few agonizing minutes, Goosepaw was finally standing in front of me, flanks heaving from the short climb. " How's your hunting going? Catch anything yet?"

" I caught a mouse," I grumbled, flexing my claws into the hard dirt underpaw, unable to hide my growing smile as I jerked my head in the direction I'd buried my mouse.

" And it only took you a moon," Goosepaw teased, biting back a growl of irritation I turned to my mentor. Just because you caught a squirrel on your first hunting trip doesn't make you better than me.

" What are you doing here?" I grumbled, shooting the long-legged tom an irritated glance. " Wasn't Skytail going to take you to battle training after your border patrol?"

" We were headed towards the Training Hollow for another boring session but I managed to convince Skytail to come and ask Appleblossom if we could have a joint training session," Goosepaw meowed, kneading the ground underpaw as he gazed into the distance, awe sparkling in his dark yellow eyes. Boring?! Battle training isn't boring!

" You're in luck," Appleblossom meowed, drawing my attention to where she was standing, Skytail pressed against her flank. " Ferretpaw is getting his first battle training session."

" His first?" Skytail questioned, blinking in confusion. " A moon into his training and he hasn't learned any battle moves?" At Goosepaw's barely concealed snicker I froze, pelt flushing with embarrassment I glanced at my calico mentor, spotting her indifferent expression I straightened up and shook out my speckled pelt. Shooting me a concerned glance, Skytail pulled away from Appleblossom and turned to face her, jaws parting to speak but a shriek in the distance cut him off.

Before anyone could react I was racing down the mountainside, legs pumping underneath my body as panic flooded my veins, blocking out the calls of my mentor as I bolted down the mountain. The only thing running through my mind was how eerily familiar that shriek was.

I'm so sorry, I know I promised to post by 5 but I completely forgot. At least I remembered to post. Its much shorter than usual cause a friend told me that shorter chapters would be more entertaining and I'm giving it a try. Hope you enjoy!

And please read @Spiritsx books, vote and commet. The Yard and Spirit's Journey are all I've read and they're sooo good! Link is at the top