Chapter 4 Butter Cups

Trigger warning!!!

-Death     -Suicide

~~~~~~~~~~

Two years have passed. Two blissful and wonderful years for Chara while living in the underground. She had learned so much from the family who had taken her in, and it seemed like time was flying by. For Chara and Asriel, the school was no longer in session. They had both graduated a year before, giving them enough free time to try doing various things.

They had tried baking a pie for Asgore and Toriel one day, accidentally putting in buttercups in the pie instead of cups of butter. Luckily, only Asgore was home when they first cut the pie for a 'taste test'. He ended up getting sick, and the other three weren't sure if he was going to recover. However, with some help from Doctor Gaster, he was back on his feet relatively quickly.

The whole ordeal gave Chara an awful plan. She wanted to do whatever it took for monsters to return to the surface. They needed the power of Seven Human Souls, but she was the only one there. If she could somehow get the other six by returning to the surface, it would make things a lot easier. There was only one option she could think of, a truly awful option.

"Howdy, Chara!" Asriel walked into the garden where Chara was thinking. "Smile for the camera!"

This was a bit of a running gag between the two of them. The first time, Asriel asked her to make a creepy face, accidentally leaving the lens cap on the camera. Now he kept getting her to smile, sometimes with the lends on, and sometimes off. Despite clearly seeing the cap on, she smiled wide.

"Ha! This time I got YOU! I left the lens cap on... ON PURPOSE!" He giggled to himself. "Now you're smiling for noooo reason! Hee hee hee!"

"Hey, Asriel... do you remember the accident with the pie?" Chara asked, seeming lost in her thoughts.

"What?" Asriel was taken aback. "Oh yeah, I remember. When we tried to make butterscotch pie for Dad, right?"

Chara only nodded as Asriel recalled the situation with their father. About how Toriel was very clearly upset, and through all of it, all Chara could do was nervously laugh. She wasn't laughing at Asgore, more she was laughing to try and help herself cheer up. She noticed that she had begun to do that when she would awaken from her nightmares as well, laughing as a way to help herself desensitize from what her mind was making her relive. She would laugh in genuinely awkward situations as well, trying to mask something that made her uncomfortable.

"Um anyway, where are you going with this?" Asriel asked, clearly confused.

"Just put that down," Chara said, eyes darting towards the camera and back up to Asriel's.

"Huh?" Asriel looked down at the camera that was still recording in his paws. "Turn off the camera..? Ok."

"I want to talk to you about something important, Asriel." Chara breathed heavily, as she tried her best to string words together into coherent sentences.

There wasn't an easy way for her to just come out and say what she was thinking. It was a very convoluted plan that required Asriel's full support on the matter. She had to make sure she worded it carefully, emphasizing that it was for the good of all monster-kind. Her plan consisted of three key elements. The buttercups, Asriel, and the remaining six human souls.

"I want to save everyone." She said, "I want you to be able to feel the sun on your fur, and see the stars above you late at night."

Chara paused for a moment, trying to think of the right thing to say. However, all she could think of was being incredibly blunt about how she wanted the plan to go. There wasn't really an easy way to put it, so she just kinda blurted it all out at once.