[𝐎𝐍𝐄]

“Wren,” A voice sings out playfully, “Wren, wake up.” My eyes open groggily, a blurred figure hovering over me till my vision slowly clears to reveal a woman with brilliant green eyes and light blonde hair, a warm smile playing on her lips as small creases form in the corner of her eyes.

    “Mum, why’d you wake me so early?” I groan in annoyance, snuggling into my warm Disney printed covers.

    “Don’t tell me you forgot your own birthday.” My eyes widen, a toothy grin spreading across my face as I leap up from my bed, a rush of adrenaline pushing away the sleep and replacing it with a bubbly excitement.

I squeal happily, grabbing my mum’s hand and pulling her with me as I rush to the living room, immediately spotting the small stack of presents laying on the kitchen bench and wrapped with a brilliant pink paper, my favourite colour.

I bound over to the counter, pulling myself up onto one of the wooden stools before glancing at my mum for permission to open them.

    “Go ahead,” She urges me after pulling out her video camera and begins to record, as per birthday tradition. I carefully rip away the paper of the first gift to reveal a bright pink birthday dress with a white sash tied around the waist. I grin and thank my mum as I carefully put it to the side, my hands itching with anticipation to pull it on for my birthday party later today.

I pick up the next gift and open it to reveal a small jewellery box. I carefully pull back the lid and gasp as I eye the silver locket adorning an intricate engraved pattern.

    “It was my necklace, gifted to me by my mother. It’s been passed down through the generations,” Mum explains as she sets down the camera and helps me to put the necklace around my neck, “It’ll help you to focus and feel calmer.”

    “But don't you need it anymore?” I question with curious eyes.

    “It will help you more than me, and one day when you have a child of your own you’ll pass it down to them.” I smile softly as I run a finger across the cool metal.

    “You’re so special, Wren. Never forget that.”

~~~

    “Wren.” I blink out of my thoughts at Stiles’s voice as the jeep screeches to a halt, “We’re here. I’ll just wait in the car.”

I nod before climbing out of the Jeep and glancing around before I notice Scott’s dirt bike parked a few cars down, opposite the busy entrance to the terminal.

    “Are you sure you don’t want to come with?” Ethan mutters as I pull him into a tight hug, “It’s not too late to change your mind.” I hesitate for a moment before shaking my head.

    “I can’t leave. This is the first place I’ve felt like I actually belonged. I have friends here,” I explain before slowly pulling back from the hug. Ethan sighs before grinning lightly and ruffling my hair before I playfully swat his hand away and smoothen my hair back down.

    “You better call me at least twice a week,” Ethan tells me before turning his gaze over to Scott who stands slightly behind me, “Take care of my sister, okay? If I hear anything’s happened to her I’ll come after you.” I roll my eyes slightly at his threat as Scott nods his head lightly. Luckily, Scott and Stiles were able to talk with their dads’ and it was decided that I’d be allowed to live with Scott and his mum instead of CPS relocating me.

    “Don’t worry about it, Ethan. You’re the one that’s going off to England by yourself,” I remind him. I don’t know why he’d choose to go there, it’s the origin place of the original hunters after all.