[𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄]

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋 𝐈𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐃; it burns my skin as it encroaches on every fibre of my body and consumes me.

    “Wren.” I try to peel my eyes open but they’re too heavy to move even an inch. As the feeling slowly returns to my legs I become aware that I’m being held up by someone; an arm wrapped under my arms while my back is pushed against a hard, cold surface.

A cough escapes my lips, followed by a moan of pain as my body is moved, someone shaking me lightly.

    “Wren, wren, wake up.” The voice sounds like it’s underwater as it resonates through my ears.

    “Wren?” The voice is louder this time as something presses against the side of my neck.

    “What are you doing?” My voice is husky as I peel open my eyes, coming face to face with a pale and wet Liam. The boy lets out an audible breath, removing his fingers from my neck as he leans his head back against the wall.

    “Where are we?” I lick my cracked lips as I glance around the small space. The space is barely big enough for Liam and I to stand comfortably and the water that comes up to our chests reflects the dark stone walls, making the well even darker and colder.

    “I don’t know. A well somewhere in the reserve. I can’t hear anything out there and I tried yelling for help but we’re too far away,” Liam explains.

    “How long have we been down here?” I question as I attempt to shift my position, crying out as the sudden movement sends a current of pain through my stomach. Liam tightens his grip around me as my legs falter beneath slightly.

I glance down to spot the hilt of the blade still sticking out from my stomach beneath the water's surface. I also take note that the water is tinted with a slight red colour.

    “We have to get out of here,” Liam mutters as he glances at the large distance to the top of the well before looking at me, “Are you okay to stand by yourself?”

    “Yeah, I think so.” I lean my back against the wall for support as Liam removes his arm around me, causing me to feel more cold.

    “I’m going to try and climb up,” Liam determines. I gape at him.

    “What? Liam it’s like 400 feet up and you were stabbed with wolfsbane,” I exclaim.

    “I have to. If we don’t get out of here soon…” he trails off, swallowing hard. I nod slowly in understanding. Once the wolfsbane gets to his heart it’ll stop beating. And, well, I don’t know what the statistics are for how long someone can survive with a knife in their stomach but I doubt it’s good.

I watch anxiously as Liam grabs onto a crevice in the stone, attempting to get a good grip against the slippery surface. He digs his fingers in before lifting his leg, finding a spot as he slowly climbs up the surface.

I flinch back as his foot slips suddenly, causing the boy to fall back into the water with a splash.

    “Are you okay?” I ask, worry lacing my tone as he resurfaces the water spluttering and gasping.

    “Yeah, yeah I’m good.” He wipes the water from his eyes before attempting to climb again. I bite my lip as I lean my head back against the stone, my body shaking every couple of seconds from the cold water. Liam barely makes it five feet before slipping into the water again.

    “Help!” Liam yells out as he leans against the stone across from me, “Somebody help us! Please! Scott! Scott help us, please! Help!” His voice cracks as he trails off.