[𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑]

"𝐎𝐍𝐄-𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 million dollars?” I confirm before taking a bite from my apple, my legs hanging over the edge of the kitchen counter as Scott is busy making his breakfast beside me. 

    “Yeah, all in bearer bonds.” 

    “What does Kate even need that much money for?” I wonder aloud as I finish my apple, tossing the core to the bin across the kitchen, grinning as it lands inside. 

    “Whatever it’s for I doubt it’s anything good,” Scott voices. I glance up as my phone starts to vibrate on the dining table. Jumping down from the counter, I quickly pick it up and glance at caller I.D before answering.

    “Hey Mason, what’s up?” I speak while glancing at the time to make sure we still have time before we have to leave for school. Stiles and Scott have lacrosse practice early to prepare for the tryouts later in the day.

    “I know you and Liam don’t get along great-”

    “Yeah, that’s kind of an understatement.” Liam and I had a couple of big arguments during the road trip to Virginia that ended with us deciding it’s better we don’t talk to each other.

    “Well, I thought it’d be best that I warn you, then.” Mason hesitates. I furrow my eyebrows.

    “Warn me about what?”

    “Liam got expelled from Devenford prep.”

    “What?” I exclaim, my jaw dropping. Mason told me about Liam’s I.E.D a while ago but I didn’t think he’d actually do something to get expelled.

    “And so he had to transfer…to Beacon Hills high.” 

    “He’s going to go to school with us?”

    “Yeah, but maybe if you guys are hanging around each other everyday you’ll become friends,” Mason tries to reason.

    “Or we tear each other apart like on the road trip.” 

    “Wren…”

    “Mason, he said it was a waste of time to go to my house because my parents are dead anyways and I don’t have any living relatives,” I remind him, my eyes stinging as I remember the hurtful words. 

    “I’m not saying you have to try and get along with him, just try not to kill each other, please.” I dejected sigh escapes my lips as I run a hand through my wavy hair.

    “Okay, fine. I’ll see you at school; and thanks for warning me.”

    “No problem.” I put the phone down, taking a deep breath and slowly releasing it. 

    “You okay?” I turn my head to meet Scott’s gaze, his heightened hearing meaning he heard the entire conversation.

    “Yeah, it’s fine.”

    “If you need Stiles and I to beat up this Liam kid…” Scott suggests. I laugh lightly and shake my head.

    “No, I can handle him.” I grab my backpack and shove my phone into my pocket before glancing at the clock, Stiles’s jeep pulling up right on time.

    “I’ll be cheering for you and Stiles on the bleachers,” I smile at Scott, knowing he’s nervous about tryouts later today before heading outside and climbing into the jeep. 

I’m quiet during the drive to school, Stiles telling me every detail of what happened last night with Kate and the Berserkers; creatures that wear bones and have skull masks and according to Malia ‘smell like death’.