[𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄]

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐌𝐀𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐎 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐃𝐔𝐂𝐄𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐅 as Jenna invites us inside, leading us into the kitchen where we take seats at the dining table while she grabs some lemonade to drink from the fridge.

    “I never knew the Davis’s had a daughter,” she reveals as she puts the glasses down on the table before taking a seat herself.

    “I was ten when they were killed and sent to live with a foster family. I only recently found out what happened to my parents,” I explain before taking a sip of the lemonade.

    “Well if you’d like then I think I have a couple of files on the report in my hall cabinet,” Jenna offers.

    “That’d be great, thank you,” I thank her with a light smile. She nods and stands up.

    “Feel free to take a look around if you’d like, a lot of the furniture was kept the same when I bought the house.” I nod in reply before she exits the room.

    “This is a nice place, what’d your parents do for a living?” Garrett whistles, as he glances around the large kitchen.

    “I can’t remember.” I stand up from my chair and walk into the living room, running a hand over the wooden fireplace mantle and feeling the small indents under my fingers.

    “We would hang our christmas stockings here,” I speak, a flash of a memory coming back to me of a lit christmas tree in the corner of the room, a small pile of wrapped presents underneath as my dad would help me to hang my colourful stocking on the small metal hook.

    “I found the files,” I look up as Jenna re-enters the room with a small file of papers in hand as well as a hardcover black book, “I also found an old photo album; It was left here when I moved in.” I sit back down at the dining table as she hands me the file and the album.

    “Thank you so much,” I say gratefully as I trace my fingers over the gold embossed words spelling out, ‘Davis Family’.

    “I’m happy I could be of help. How long are you guys staying in town for?” She questions curiously.

    “Just for the night,” Garrett answers. We finish off our drinks as Jenna tells us about a good restaurant we should stop by before we say our goodbyes and get back into Garrett’s car.

    “Thank you so much guys for coming with me,” I say as I clip my seatbelt, grateful for the fact that they were willing to spend an entire week in a car just so I could visit my childhood home.

    “It’s no problem, Wren,” Mason reassures. I send him a smile before Garrett starts the car and we head to our hotel for the night.

~~~

I release a breath as I kick off my shoes and jump into bed, my back aching from the past two days in a car. It’s nearly ten pm already; after meeting with Jenna and taking our bags to our hotel rooms we decided to check out the grill Jenna told us about. It’s safe to say I’m thoroughly stuffed from the stone baked pizzas and fries we ate.

I get changed and ready for bed before sitting back down on the bed, glancing at the manila file and black photo album in front of me. I gingerly pick up the black book as I lean back against the headboard of the bed, running my fingers across the embossed words before flicking to the first page.

It’s a photo of a baby swaddled in a grey hospital blanket, eyes closed in a peaceful sleep and lips pouted. It’s me. I turn my gaze to the next page, a picture of me as a baby sleeping in the arms of a brunette woman with green eyes, a proud smile stretched across her face.