[Pro. 3] - Gold, Orange & Vanilla

"Last one to the ball gets no treats!"

~ | ☀️ | ~

And zoom did you both go! You ran and ran - enough to catch up to Dogday by a limb. With your target just in arms reach, you were ready to pounce on the toy ball like a cat on a ball of yarn.

You were then shoulder-to-shoulder with your competitor, taking the friendly dual seriously despite the stakes being well... not too serious.

Both you and Dogday, taking that final leap and...

... POUNCE!

...

With your eyes sealed shut, you tumbled over onto the solid ground, hands flailing around to feel for the squeaky toy as you cushioned your fall with your body.

Moments later, in the midst of the chase's aftermath, your eyes flickered open. Dogday, eyes laced with mischief, had you pinned down against the ground.

"Hehe, gotcha!" He muttered in victory, promptly getting off of you as his fingers lightly pawed at the squeaky toy in his hands idly.

A warm smile crossed his lips. "And Dogday takes the cake once more!" His voice was heavy with fervour, passionate about his victory. He held the ball high in the air, before he stopped riding that high a moment after.

Offering a hand toward you, he carried you onto your feet, kneeling once more to tend to any potential injury or bruise. Once he patted you down, he let go of a breath he'd been holding.

"You alright, buddy?" He reassured once more, expression laced with mild trouble as he yearned your own affirmation.

You nod, immediately easing the canine of his worries. Couple seconds passed, before Dogday passed the ball he'd been holding to you. You couldn't tell if it was because he was trying to be a good sport or if he noticed that you were still sulking over your loss.

"Here," His voice was calm and optimistic, similar to prior to the chase, "I don't need this,"

His index fingers traced the outline of his lips, before reaching the corners of his mouth. "I've already won your smile, sunshine! That's better than any treat I could get!"

This caused you to crack a smile of your own, accompanied by a flushed face. He stifled a laugh at your embarrassment, before he chose to roll over and settle on the ground.

Dogday had his legs tucked by his chest, patting his side for you to follow his lead. You did so; quietly, at that.

He sighed in relief, falling back against the grassy ground and staring up at the "sky".

"C'mon angel, get comfy," The mascot propped his hands behind his head, staring and gazing up at the artificial azure up ahead.

Peaceful. It was plain peaceful.

Your eyes then followed where his went, focussing up at a pattern of the clouds and the skies above both your heads.

Not long after, he perked up as he pointed at a bunch of stars, all at his mention, "Hey, do you see that? It looks like... a cat!"

If you didn't think any better, you'd guess it was just a random arrangement, and that Dogday was doing this solely to lift the mood. Still, your eyes followed the pointing of his index finger.

Silence led on as you star-gazed, feeling weary already. In the peace and quiet, you heard the gentle hummings of Dogday - lulling you to sleep with a classic lullaby.

As if he was reading your mind, he pulled you onto his own body, encircling you in loose chains of comfort and gold, orange fluff.

You caught a whiff of his scent - the pleasant scent of vanilla wafting through the air, like a bakery in heaven. It felt like a dream.

Together, with the help of a cradle song and the muted sounds of laughter and joy of other youth, you heard a solace whisper,

"Sleep well, angel..."

Soon, as your eyelids grew heavy, and your vision grew the slightest bit blurry... You drifted off into a peaceful slumber, in the arms of a new friend...

"I'll protect you..."

~ | ☀️ | ~

A/N - And there's the third chapter. What's y'all think so far? I'd greatly appreciate some tips or perhaps input on how to make my story better? I wanna make this story suited to all of you as best I can!

P/S, <3's to all of you who have spent time reading this :)