[Chap. 2] - Not so bad, after all!

... " ☀️ " ...

You perused through the massive display, taking brief glimpses of each mascot statue and reading the various synopses carved out on their sign boards.

You circled around and around the central podium once more, now taking a gander at the diverse structures around Playcare. Starting from the school, which seemed pretty kept up with how you perceived it, to the counseling building, which resided on higher grounds.

Following your footsteps, you glimpsed and glanced around and almost tripped as you felt the ground sink under you all so suddenly. You mutter a curse to yourself in silence before you stabilize your footing, catching a glimpse of a staircase that leads further down. How fucking big was this place?

Looking down, you knew you had to pick one of the two choices: the first being, to go down the eerie, dark staircase, which may potentially lead to a man-eating toy-machine capable of eating you whole... or the second, which was picking the safe route and pretending it never existed.

...

Yep, you picked the latter. Who could blame ya? Considering it was this place out of any other possible place it could've been, anything and basically everything could happen.

The silence was dreadful. You felt like you were being watched, and it wasn't really that great of a feeling, you had to admit.

Just as the air hung high with suspense, your phone buzzed in your pocket. A livid feeling arose in you as you picked up your phone, noticing it was from the co-worker from before. You sighed.

"Yes, what is it?" You attempted to sound as nonchalant as possible, but you were just the slightest bit vexed at his "perfect" timing.

"Just called to inform you that the lever that switches on basically all of Playcare is indeed down that stairwell," His voice had this strong air of sarcasm, even if he was speaking over a call.

Dripping with skepticism, you glanced around Playcare before directly addressing the mischief-maker once more. "And... how do you know I'm there, Emmett?"

"Over cameras. Watching you peek over the maintenance stairwell practically shivering like a dog in the cold was enough to tell me I had to call ya, FYI."

Your fingers rubbed over your temples, hearing his unserious voice echo in the empty space as you rubbed the embarrassment off your face. "Would've been better to, y'know..."

"Just tell me sooner?" Leaning against the podium surface, you rest your back against the cold-ish exterior as you both prolong the call.

"Y'know, that ain't such a bad idea!" Again, with the sarcasm. "Well, now that you know, I don't think my services are required anymore, hm?" Emmett was still playing coy, as you could tell.

"Yeah, thanks," You fumbled with your house keys, and with every happy jingle they made, you felt a certain discomfort of the feeling of more eyes focusing on you. It was hard to ignore this time, but you used the only company you had at the time to disregard it.

You both exchanged goodbyes — or to be more precise, a friendly "fuck-off" to one another as you ended the call. As a person who'd steer clear of interaction 24/7, you felt Emmett was a person anyone could get along with. Actual tolerable co-workers? Maybe this job wasn't that bad...