[Chap. 3] - "Language, angel."

"Behind you, sunshine."

~ | ☀️ | ~

A mellow voice echoed through the air behind you, forcing a chill down your spine at the thought of not being here, in Playcare, alone - when you were supposed to be.

From shock to a full-blown internal panic attack, you finally mustered up enough courage to turn to the source.

A dog. Or, to be precise - an anthropomorphic canine painted with the hues of the sun was what your eyes first registered. Pitch-black eyes, white hollowed-out pupils, a wide, permanent smile, and to top it off, a pendant in the shape of a sun was a part of the mascot's body.

Your mind malfunctioned for a second, unsure if you should scream, run away, and leave without turning back, or if you should just let fate take its course. Either way, this wasn't... an ideal situation to be in per se.

"So much for sneaky, Dogday!" Another voice in company with the canine complained from the sidelines.

It still didn't help that the mascot was staring straight at you, as if analysing every fibre of your own being. In response to that remark, did he finally choose to back away from you.

"C'mon, you guys can't tell me you wouldn't be excited to meet an old buddy!" Who you guessed was Dogday, interjected in turn, before swivelling back to you. He sighed, staring you down for a couple more seconds.

"So..." Scratching the nape of his neck, his voice was laced with uncertainty. "I'm guessing you probably don't know who we are? Er- them, at least." He gestured to the colourful few behind him.

You didn't run - well, you stopped yourself from doing so after you realised how futile your efforts would be. It was 1–7, and chances are, you'd be dead before you could say, 'Help, save me! There are a bunch of manic, probably haunted, stuffed animals chasing after me!'

Timidly, you nodded at his query, earning a slight eyebrow raise and, in sequence, a despondent silence.

"As long as you know me, we are A-Okay!" He jeered. To that, you shook your head, which got the canine of the group muddled. Dogday did a double take: he was 100% sure he knew who he was talking to.

They'd have to have remembered me! He thought.

"You're joking, right?" You shook your head. "You... seriously don't recognise me? Your old pal, Dogday?" If that grin was not permanent, you could imagine you'd see the most dispirited mascot of a canine in your entire life. There wasn't really much room for emotion, but his tone of voice really made them transparent enough.

You shook your head once more. "... Why? Should I know you?"

Dogday remained silent, before simply sighing in defeat, shaking his head in disregard as he completely moved on with what they had initially planned.

"It's... not important, angel." He paused. "All that's important is that you're still here, and not running for the hills crazy like everyone else. I mean, seriously, what's so weird about us?" Dogday gestured to himself before motioning to all his companions as well.

They all move a tad bit closer, but you spot no hint of evil intention in any other eyes - even if they were the shade of the darkest night. Still, you could see why everyone who'd worked in this segment would quit on day one, and you couldn't really blame them.