Chapter 7: Therapy and Progress

It's been a few months since the escape and Branch's birthday. John and Branch are making slow progress on the bunker, digging out the entrance tunnel along with the main entrance itself. Branch is obsessed with his new goggles and refuses to take them off most of the time, which John thinks is adorable.

John's own birthday passes by without much fanfare. Branch had made a cake for him, with Poppy and Peppy's help of course. He insisted that they do something special so they went camping together, something John absolutely loves. It was probably his favorite birthday he's ever had.

Getting Branch to agree to therapy had been surprisingly easy. After John explained what it was and how it worked, he'd asked if John was going too. When John told him yes, he'd go too, Branch immediately agreed. He guesses it's because knowing he's with Branch makes the kid more comfortable talking to a stranger. He does explain that John won't always be in the sessions with him, and Branch was a little hesitant but John told him he'd be right outside and he relaxed.

He doesn't tell Branch about going to his own sessions right off the bat, wanting the boy to focus on his own first. He promised Peppy that he'd go and the king agreed to do the same. They both needed it honestly, so John is eternally grateful that the older troll wanted to help them.

The king being aware of Branch's parentage made John really nervous at first. Peppy might've said he understood but that doesn't really mean much to a twenty year old with trust issues. John's kept it a secret for so long that anyone knowing the truth makes him scared. But thankfully, the king seems to have kept his word that he wouldn't tell anyone, so John tries to not think about it.

However, it's a bit difficult to not think about it when his therapist asks him if there's anything else he needs to talk about.

"I can tell something is on your mind, John. You can tell me anything," Dr Green reassures, calmly waiting to see if he'd say anything. The old sage and white troll has the patience of a saint, truly. "I'm not here to judge you, I'm here to help you, kid."

John Dory sighs and debates it in his head. Should I tell him? I probably should at some point. But what if I do and he tells everyone and they take B away from me? I couldn't live with that. I can't live without him, he's my baby. "I think I'm just a bit stressed from the bunker and everything, honestly," he lies, choosing not to bring it up. Not yet.

Dr Green gives him a knowing look but lets it go. "That's to be expected. It's probably a lot of heavy lifting for you two, I just hope you're being careful." He smiles softly. "Does the underground part of it still make you nervous?"

"Not as much? It's still a little nerve wracking, I'm not gonna lie," John laughs, rubbing the back of his neck. "I think I'm warming up to the idea as we go, though. It'll be nice and cozy, and we're planning on building a lift for it at one point, which Branch is going to love." John smiles softly. His son loves mechanical stuff, whether it be old toys that he likes to take apart and look at the insides of or ideas for the bunker. "It also makes Branch feel safe, so I'm happy with that."

"Is he still having issues with his paranoia? You mentioned last time he was refusing to listen to any music, how is that going?" Dr Green asks. Dr Green isn't both of their therapists since he mostly specialized in teenagers and young adults. Branch sees Dr Moonbloom herself, who is also his pediatrician.

"It's pretty much the same right now. I'm not gonna push him into liking music again, I get why it makes him so nervous. I'm more worried about his colors." John looks at his paws. "He has flare ups sometimes when he's really happy about something but it doesn't last very long. I don't know what to do to help him and that scares me..."

"John," Dr Green pats his shoulder comfortingly. "You're already helping him by just being here. The fact he isn't on his own is already helping a lot. You're giving him stability, something that makes him see that he's not alone. These things just take time. Have patience."