Chapter 8: Coming Out (In More Ways Than One)

-Seven Years Later-

John knows he fucked up here.

He really didn't intend to wait this long. He told Dr Green everything about a year after starting therapy with him and had fully planned to tell Branch. John just wanted to wait until they finished the bunker so they'd be fully set up. He didn't think it'd take this long.

Now Branch is turning twelve. Twelve! His little boy is growing up so fast, it's not fair. He's up to John's shoulders now, his leaf vest actually almost fits, and his colors are brighter. He's still not fully there, his hair is a dark navy instead of the sapphire it had been before and he's still a grayish teal, but he's much better than when he was younger. Being close with the princess has definitely helped. Poppy was really good for him and she even managed to get him to be friends with some of her other friends like Cooper and Suki.

John Dory is just proud of his son for trying. He knows that most of Branch's friends from his little mini band lived further away in the village now and couldn't visit much, so he's glad Branch has at least a few friends close by.

Speaking of which. John turns towards the yellow pod door as it opens and Branch steps out. Cooper and Poppy hug him, Cooper's adoptive moms waving him goodbye as he leaves. "Hi Mister John!" Poppy yells, the nine year old letting Branch go and waving aggressively at him.

John chuckles and waves back. "Hi, Popstar. How was you guys' sleepover?" Branch blushes in embarrassment and Cooper and Poppy giggle at him. His hair is styled in a ponytail which makes his flushed ears even more noticeable.

"It was super fun, Mister John!" Cooper says excitedly. "Poppy did our nails and makeup, it was really nice!" John notices the blue and purple eyeshadow the kid was still wearing and holds back a laugh.

Branch blushes deeper and John snickers at him. "I bet you looked gorgeous, B," John teases.

"Joooohn," Branch whines, hiding his face as they all laugh at him.

Poppy giggles. "The dress really sold it."

Branch looks at her in betrayal. "Poppy!" John sees through his blushing that Branch is wearing blue eyeshadow and mascara, just a bit, and what looks like lipgloss. It's more sudtle than what Cooper's got going on and actually looks really cute with Branch's skin and his light and dark eyes. John smiles softly. "You weren't supposed to tell anyone about the dress!"

"Anyone can rock a dress, B!" John says, striking a pose. "I think I'd look fabulous in one, dunno about you."

The other two kids laugh while Branch rolls his eyes. "Come on, old man. Let's go home so you can stop embarrassing me," he says, grabbing John's arm and pulling him away from Cooper's pod as JD laughs.

"Bye kids! We'll see you tomorrow, okay?" John yells back at them. They're supposed to have a little get together for Branch at noon.

"Totally, mister dude! Bye Branch!" Cooper says, waving. He started calling John that after he said to stop calling him 'mister John' because it makes him feel old, so Cooper figured saying 'mister dude' was better. It's cute so John lets it slide.

"Bye Branchifer!" Poppy yells, making his son turn bright blue and pull him harder.

John snickers as he's tugged all the way to the edge of town, Branch finally letting up as they get to the bunker. They walk through the leaf curtain over the alcove and into the seating area they set up by the entrance. Branch flops onto the outside sofa, hugging and screaming into a pillow. John sits next to him as he looks up. "You're an ass, you know that?" Branch grumbles.