Chapter 9: Injuries

John Dory wakes up groggily, pain radiating all over his body. He opens his eyes just slightly and sees the hospital lights and ceiling, the brightness making him grunt in pain.

Eye. His right eye is free but his left is bandaged and he can't see anything on that side.

"John?" Peppy's voice comes from his right and John looks at him as the older troll comes to his bedside. "You're finally awake. Thank the Muses."

John swallows and coughs. "Water please?" Peppy helps him sit up a bit and holds up a glass of water, the straw in front of his mouth. Taking a drink makes John's throat immediately feel much better. He sits back after taking a few sips. "Thank you, Peppy. What the hell happened?"

"It's no trouble, my boy." Peppy sits back down. "From what Branch explained, you both had a run in with a Sparkle Hound this morning."

John's eyebrows furrow. "I kind of remember. All I could think about was keeping Branch safe. How long was I out?"

"A few hours." Peppy smiles. "You fought valiantly, my boy."

"Where is Branch?" Peppy points to John's left. Turning to look, Branch is curled up on the chair next to his bed, one of her paws supporting her head as she sleeps. It looks like she got taken care of at some point too, her cheek now sporting some butterfly bandages and her right arm is wrapped up. Her coloring is still duller than usual, her navy hair even darker as it falls loosely around her shoulders. She looks exhausted.

John smiles sadly. One of her paws is on the bed next to his and he grabs it. Branch suddenly wakes up, looking around frantically before seeing John smiling at her. "Hey, kid," he whispers.

"Daddy!" She sobs and gently tackles him, hugging him as he pats her back with his non bandaged hand. "I'm so sorry, I'm sorry," she cries into his chest.

John sits stunned for a second, Branch calling him 'daddy' catching him off guard. He hugs her closer. "You have nothing to apologize for, baby." He sees Peppy stand up and quietly walk out of the room, which John feels grateful for.

Branch pulls away, rubbing at her tears with her fists. "This is all my fault! If I hadn't run away like that you- you wouldn't be hurt! I'm sorry!" Her colors are flaring wildly with her emotions.

John pulls her back in and kisses her head. "Babygirl, you had every right to be upset. If anyone should feel sorry right now, it's me," he says, cupping her cheek. "I'm so sorry I never said something to you sooner, sweetheart. I'm so so sorry."

Branch knocks foreheads with him, sniffling as she looks up at him. "Why did you lie?"

"I didn't want to, trust me sweetheart," John says. "I found out about you just before Trollstice when I was fifteen, bug. I was so young. Your-" John tears up a bit. "Your other dad was my boyfriend and he got taken."

Branch hugs him. "I'm sorry," she whispers.

John hugs her back, letting her lay on his chest where he wasn't injured. "Rosiepuff found out about you and she was... really upset with me. Told me to figure it out but I couldn't raise you as my kid because it would 'ruin our family image'." John quotes her, Branch stiffening against him. "I refused to send you away, so I did the only thing I could think of to keep you. I pretended to find you on the front stoop. Our parents had done the exact same thing with your uncles and me. It wasn't surprising that they'd leave another one." John sighs heavily. "I've regretted so many things in my life, but you've never been one of them, Bitty. I love you so much, kid, you have no idea."

Branch snuggles into his chest, tail wrapping around his waist. "I love you too, Dad," she whispers, looking up at him.

He cups her cheek again and kisses her nose. "My little girl. You're so beautiful, you know? You look just like I did when I was tiny, it's freaky."