chapter 2.

She'd never ventured south before and her nose wrinkled at the thought. What does the south have that the north doesn't? Warmth, mayhaps– but you can easily make that with a fire! Pretty silks and lots of fruit, she was told. Shera wasn't entirely sure what use she would have for pretty silks, as they'd dirty right away if she ventured in the snow– and fruit. Surely there wasn't anything better than freshly picked blackberries and blueberries.

The little girl couldn't sit still in the wheelhouse as she poked her head to the sliding wood window, brown eyes trying to gauge the landscape. It was certainly green! They had been on the road for a moon and a half and Shera was about to pull out her hair from boredom. The stewardess, Warra, that her father had stowed away with her for the journey, irritated Shera to no end.

'Sit down!'

'Stitch inward, not outward.'

'You're fraying the thread, be gentle.'

If looks could kill, the poor stewardess would be dead within the first week of the journey. Warra glared back at the impudent child, thinking the exact same thought.

"You must be Shera Stark," a young woman cooed, who had greeted the little girl at her arrival to the keep. Her hair was the same shade as Shera's. She was dressed in a green dress, and it reminded the little girl of the pine forests beyond Winterfell. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Nice to meet... you," Shera returned, curtsying with a small wobble. "M'lady."

Shera felt an odd connection to the woman almost instantaneously, her arms held out for a hug. At the age of five, she was still very much a baby, and craved the warm touch of another person. "Are you my mumma now?" she whispered.

"Oh," the woman murmured. "You may call me Alicent," she added, looking slightly confused at the little girl's request for an embrace. Alicent stared at the child for a moment, seeing herself reflected in her huge brown eyes. She scooped her up and held Shera to her hip. "It's scary being here all alone, isn't it?"

The south was no place for a wolf, she feared. Not only her own wolf, but herself as well. She heard their whispers as she arrived in the city, the stares of prying eyes, wishing to catch a glimpse of the infamous Banshee of Winterfell.

'Twas an ugly name, Shera thought. Banshees were decrepit creatures with haunting yowls and spindling claws like cracked branches– was she truly so ugly? She hardly spoke, no less screamed, lest she awaken the still tender pain against her neck. Sometimes she would hum a broken tune from her girlhood days, but she would hardly call that a song.

The journey had taken over half a moon and was as agonizingly long as she remembered from her girlhood, even more so now. Cregan opted to leave her alone in the wheelhouse while he rode outside on his horse. She'd much rather be upon horseback than in the sweltering carriage— the movements made her ill, and she spent much of the time with her face firmly supplanted into Moongeist's fur.

Jacaerys had offered to take Shera to King's Landing by dragonback before they left.

"It would be a much faster and easier journey, my lady. It is even easier than riding horseback." he exclaimed, his dragon just now grown enough to saddle two. Vermax loomed in the background on the snow laden grass, sniffing the air and making soft trilling noises. He reminded Shera of a whippoorwill.

"I... I would very much love to, my prince— but I would be blind without Moongeist with me upon arrival and I do not think Vermax would take kindly to another passenger who weighs more than you and I — and is a wolf." she said softly. Shera wished to keep both feet supplanted on the ground— she would never acclimate to flying upon a dragon or being ferried by ship. She was prone to seasickness, and imagined dragonback no different.