chapter 6.

Instead of sleeping that night, Shera read over Aemond's notes, unable to start once she started. She lit a few candles, shoving Moongeist over in bed. "Taking up too much room, bubby," she huffed, sitting cross legged and stacking some blankets and pillows into a makeshift book stand. Finally, after adjusting the candles position a few times, she could finally see. She began to read.

'Ser Symeon was known to wield a long staff with blades at both ends and would spin it in his hands to chop down two men at once.' the text said. Aemond had written, very crudely and sloppily; 'Ask Criston about double ended staves. What about double ended morningstars? Is there such a thing?'

Between notes and annotations, he would have pieces of plain parchment shoved between the pages. Upon it were no words, but drawings. They started simply, a shaky depiction of a box, an etching of a vase in charcoal. As the years progressed through the book, his drawings improved. He never strayed from the medium of simple charcoal on parchment, but they were still very good.

Shera tilted her head, inspecting the folded papers. She wouldn't have expected Aemond to be the artistic one, she always thought Helaena to take up that mantle with her intricate embroidery of various insects and beyond. But these were on par with etchings pressed into a maester's journal, or something displayed in a posh palace in Essos. She realized that besides a creative outlet, these served another purpose— it hit her quickly, he used drawing as a way to train his lone eye back into a sense of depth perception and attention to detail. Those two things were what Shera suffered with immensely, still. As adept as she'd become with sewing, she still pricked her finger or accidentally sewed into her skin because she couldn't see the correct position of the needle. Her designs for her clothes were intricate but hardly ever symmetrical and never able to be duplicated.

It was so... smart. It was so smart of Aemond to pick up the skill of drawing, something so inherently reliant on sight, to train himself back to some sense of regularity. It was so... Aemond.

Shera clenched her hand, her nails sinking into her palm. Why didn't she think of that? Why didn't she do anything— her sewing was hobbyistic at best and not nearly enough to train her eyesight. She'd spent all that time wallowing in self-pity instead of doing something.

She felt an acute feeling of despair, then. I should have written to him more. I should've bombarded him with letters and given him no choice but to reply. I should've pried to Helaena to see what he was doing beyond niceties.

Letting out a sigh, she pushed those thoughts away.

Out of curiosity, she flipped to the end of the tome and looked for the latest drawing. Three pieces of paper fell from the back, onto her lap.

Opening the first one, it was a depiction of Helaena holding Maelor near the window. There were streams of light coming through the window and the sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky. Maelor was smiling, his chubby fist held out to the curtain, the small indent of his dimpled cheeks even visible. The detail was... exquisite, it was like looking at a mirror of such a situation.

Opening the second one, it was smeared with charcoal dust. Unlike the first drawing, this one took up the entirety of the page. It was hard to discern for Shera what she was looking at, at first. Leaning more to the light, it became clear. It was a portrait of Vhagar, evident in the pallor of her scales and lack of horns. Each scale was detailed impeccably, some wrought with scars and marks from her old age. The sag of her throat was held up in regard, her teeth jagged and crooked, opening in a sneer or even a laugh.

Shera imagined what Vhagar's laugh would sound like— something out of children's stories, like a cackling witch, smoke billowing from her nostrils as she swirled a cauldron of bubbling green ichor. It made her giggle, the thought of Vhagar hobbling from a hut in the woods with a cane made of gnarled oak, waving away the children who dared to set foot on her property. She would need to tell Aem— someone about her depiction some day.