chapter 9.

The sound of paper furling and unfurling were the only ones heard. Then the slam of a fist on a wooden desk. Then a sigh.

"This is ridiculous," Rhaenyra hissed, reading over the missive stamped with the Velaryon sigil for the near hundredth time. "Absolutely ridiculous— borderline treasonous."

The letter spelled out, in so many words, that Vaemond Velaryon was contesting Lucerys' inheritance claim to Driftmark. Lord Corlys had apparently fallen ill in the Stepstones— damn that accursed place— which brought up the question of succession. There had been whispers over the years of Rhaenyra's first three sons' true parentage belied in the seed of a certain late Commander of the City's watch. Such accusations have been unfounded and swatted away like flies if the argument was ever brought up in the small council chamber or throne room.

Upon looking at them, the three Velaryon boys were only such in name– that much was obvious. Their brown eyes and curled brown hair struck a decided resemblance to someone that was not Ser Laenor Velaryon.

Even if the rumors, as they may be, were plain as day truths, such things couldn't be acted upon, much less said about the heir to the iron throne, could they?

"How can Alicent even entertain this... this mummer's farce?" she continued to seethe, resorting to pacing now, twisting the rings on her fingers. Her throat felt a bit dry at the situation. Her and Alicent had struck a comfortable balance since returning. This felt... it felt akin to a slap in the face.

"'Tis not just Alicent entertaining it," Daemon muttered, swirling wine in his cup. He was lazed in the chaise, one leg over the other. He seemed particularly laissez-faire about the situation at hand, as if it were nothing more than a mere annoyance to him, like a leg cramp or an annoying bug. "That snake of a father she has has his fangs in every pot. Whatever suits him— and this would seem to be one of those things." he glanced to his wife, wanting to say more about the queen, but thought better of it. Daemon Targaryen was, in all accounts, a man who spoke his mind– but he didn't wish to ruffle his pregnant wife's feathers by calling her 'girlhood friend' a cunt like her father.

"Otto Hightower is a conniving man, that much is true. What could he hope to gain by currying favor with Vaemond?"

"The Velaryon fleet. The Velaryon coin. The Velaryon connections. The well of opportunities for conniving cunts like Otto are endless." he punctuated each point with a wave of his glass.

Rhaenyra's mouth snapped shut. She was silent for a long while before finally speaking again. "Well, Lord Corlys is not dead yet. This will be fought and we will be heard."

The morning after the gala was... eventful, to say the least. She hardly remembered going back to her room, it all felt like a hazy, dizzy dream.

Aemond had escorted her back to her chambers in (comfortable) silence, giving her another goodnight kiss before leaving her for the night. She had been reeling from it all, the adrenaline of their interaction.

She could feel his lips on hers and a delightful buzz on her face and... another unfamiliar sensation deep in her body, nestled behind her navel. It felt like a pulling sensation, like a thread connecting her and Aemond. Just the slightest tug on the string had her feeling warm and fuzzy— she wanted him. The implication of wanting him could mean a myriad of things. She was fond of him, of course, she always had been. His possessive declaration, to any normal person, could be deduced into one thing. But in Shera's mind, there were many interpretations of such an action, it couldn't be assumed to mean one thing!

He said she belonged to him— that didn't necessarily mean he... loved her, he just wanted her near him. The kiss... she had started it, of course! It was merely... something of comfort between them, like a soft blanket or a favorite smell, right? Nothing so deep as... as one might assume.