Chapter 10: Sins of the Father

The smell of blood is so thick in the air...

Sounds of battle, of steel clashing together and gunshots and screams can be heard throughout all of Cathedral Ward as Maria faces off against more members of the Healing Church.

Like a ravenous beast, the Archangel of the Swift Hunt absolutely tears through their ranks. With her [Saw Cleaver] in hand, she dispatches more and more of her adversaries, cutting them down in a most brutal display by the dozen.

While her enemy, soldiers and guards meant to defend the Church can do nothing to stop her.

They were trained to fight monsters, not humans. Or at least, nothing resembling that of one...

Maria is neither.

She is a divine being, inhabiting supernatural power and abilities. And adding on the fact that she was trained by the Supreme Seraphim and Archangel of War himself, Michael...

It's safe to say that the end result has already been determined before the exchange of blades and bullets even began...

Dashing past a barrage of gunfire, Maria slices down more of their ranged members. Her [Saw Cleaver] hacking them into bloody bits, just in time to react to another one charging at her with a plain steel sword raised to strike.

Maria spins behind her, catching the blade with her glove and shattering it within her grip. Utterly stunned by the show of strength, she flips the soldier over her shoulder into the ground and finishes him off with her [Saw Cleaver] through his torso.

Hearing reinforcements arrive behind her, Maria extracts her weapon from the fresh body only to see a foe towering over her, a giant of a man winding up his great axe to bring down on her.

Widening her eyes for only a second, Maria rolls out of the way, the attack missing and knocking debris of concrete everywhere

"Where is the line drawn..." Maria mutters to herself, realizing that this new opponent is no longer a human, but an experimentation on their own.

The giant was likely created using various methods of inhumane research of the Beastly Scourge and weaponized for its strength a creature its size. Perhaps a side effect, or an accidental instance of some kind...

No matter. It'll die all the same.

Tightening her grip on her [Saw Cleaver], Maria plans her attack. Waiting for the moment the giant swings his axe, and catches the sign of her enemy's knee buckling under the weight of the weapon.

"Ahh... Your weakness, I presume..."

"Rah!!!" The giant gutterly yells back, bringing his axe down in another crushing strike.

Yet, the Archangel doesn't move. Instead, she brings her weapon up to meet the axe, not to block it but to guide the blade into the ground. In doing this, Maria has angled the attack so it would not just miss but imbed itself deeply into the concrete, becoming stuck.