EPISODE - 2

Allan and Musafir find themselves bound to a tree, their fate now in the hands of their captors. As they await their uncertain fate, a sudden interruption breaks the tension: the arrival of a local police officer.

The officer, a formidable figure with a shaved head and a commanding presence, strides confidently towards Allan and Musafir. Clad in his uniform and armed with a sturdy stick at his side and a pistol holstered to his belt, he exudes an air of authority as he takes a seat before them.

The police officer, with an old-fashioned African accent, begins his interrogation simply 'What's your name?'

'Allan Backerman. Professor of History and Archaeology advisor at the University of Washington, United States of America,' Allan replies confidently, his voice steady despite the circumstances.

'Oh. So you're a professor. That's good... Then why did you leave the United States?' inquires the police officer with a hint of skepticism.

'I have come here for archaeological testing,' Allan responds succinctly.

'You have permission from the government?'

'Yes,' Musafir responds hurriedly, his voice filled with urgency.

'Show me,' demands the police officer, his gaze sharp as he observes Allan and Musafir exchange uneasy glances. Sensing the officer's suspicion, they exchange a knowing look before reluctantly complying with his request.

'Actually, I don't have one,' Allan admits, his tone sincere. 'I applied for permission, but it wasn't approved. I realized the urgency of this excavation and decided to proceed without official authorization. Time is of the essence, and I couldn't afford to delay any longer.' Allan's words explain the officer.

Musafir nods subtly, signaling to Allan that his explanation isn't entirely accurate. 'Officer, Allan did apply for approval before starting the excavation,' Musafir interjects, his tone calm and composed. 'In fact, I have the approval documents with me, obtained from the regional office. Unfortunately, they're in my car at the moment.' Musafir's words carry a sense of reassurance, suggesting that they can provide the necessary documentation to verify their claims.

The officer, having untied Allan and Musafir, allows them to retrieve the documents from their car. As they approach the vehicle, they find themselves surrounded by tribal onlookers, their presence a stark reminder of the precarious situation they're in.

Musafir swiftly unlocks the car and retrieves the documents from a hidden compartment beneath the driver's seat. With the papers in hand, he approaches the officer and presents them without hesitation.

'These are the documents,' Musafir explains calmly. 'As I mentioned earlier, Allan's approval came through after he had already begun the excavation. We understand the importance of following protocol, but given the urgency of the situation, we had no choice but to proceed.' Musafir's words carry a sense of sincerity and earnestness, hoping to convince the officer of their innocence.

As the officer carefully examines the documents, Musafir adds further clarification. 'In the permission granted to Allan, he is authorized to collect any items unearthed during the excavation for research purposes, particularly towards finding a cure for the disease. This is to be done under strict protocols and with regular updates provided to Washington State University,' Musafir explains, pointing out specific details within the documents. 'The authorization was signed by Officer Nikova Ulahanava, Chief Archaeology Advisor at the Ethiopian Archaeological Department.' Musafir's words aim to underscore the legitimacy of their actions and the importance of their mission.

The officer, satisfied with the explanation and the documentation provided, returns the documents to Allan. With a nod of approval, he gestures for Allan to retrieve his sling bag.