Chapter 9: Legendary Jealously

⊱⋅ ───── 🍂 ───── ⋅⊰

As the morning bustle settled into a familiar rhythm, Elara found herself drawn to the tranquility of Lysander's mini library downstairs. The shelves were lined with an impressive array of books, their spines worn with age and wisdom. Elara's fingers trailed along the bindings, tracing the faded letters etched into their surfaces, while the faint scent of old parchment enveloped her like a comforting embrace.

Lost in the enchanting world of books, Elara marveled at the bound volumes that surrounded her, though their contents remained tantalizingly out of reach. Unlike the noble ladies of Eldermire, she had never been afforded the luxury of learning to read, her days consumed by menial tasks and humble duties.

It was in the midst of her silent reverie that she was startled by the soft footsteps that approached her. Turning, she found herself face-to-face with Emilia, whose sweet demeanor belied the subtle undercurrent of tension that seemed to linger between them.

"Exploring Cedric's collection, I see," Emilia remarked, her voice laced with a polite yet pointed curiosity.

Elara offered a tentative smile, though her heart hammered in her chest as she struggled to conceal her discomfort. "Yes, it's quite... fascinating," she replied, her tone betraying a hint of uncertainty.

Emilia's smile remained fixed, though there was a hint of something unreadable in her eyes as she regarded Elara. "It must be quite a change for you, coming from Eldermire," she observed, her words carrying an underlying layer of insinuation.

Elara's grip tightened imperceptibly on the book in her hand, a flicker of defiance flashing in her eyes as she met Emilia's gaze head-on. "Yes, it's certainly been... different," she replied evenly, her voice betraying none of the unease that churned within her.

Emilia's smile widened, though there was a subtle edge to it that did not escape Elara's notice. "Well, if you ever need recommendations for something to read, you know where to find me," she offered, her tone saccharine yet tinged with a hint of condescension. With a polite nod, Elara watched as Emilia retreated.

Later that afternoon, as the sun cast long shadows across the town, Elara found herself once again in Emilia's company. This time, Emilia extended an invitation for a tea party.

"Thank you for the invitation, Emilia," Elara replied, her voice carefully neutral. "I would be delighted to join."

Emilia's smile widened, though there was a subtle edge to it that did not escape Elara's notice. "Splendid," she chirped, her tone saccharine yet tinged with a hint of condescension. "I do hope you enjoy yourself. It's not often we get visitors from Eldermire."

                    ⊱⋅ ───── 🍂 ───── ⋅⊰

As Elara confided in Amara about Emilia's invitation, her friend's words of caution only deepened her sense of unease. Amara's keen insight into human nature left Elara pondering the true motives behind Emilia's seemingly innocent invitation.

"You should be careful," Amara warned, her tone serious. "Emilia doesn't do anything without a reason, especially when it comes to someone like you."

Elara nodded, her mind racing with possibilities. She knew there was more to Emilia's invitation than met the eye, but she couldn't quite shake the feeling of apprehension that gnawed at her insides.

With a heavy sigh, Elara voiced her concerns to Amara, her words tinged with uncertainty. "I can't shake the feeling that there's something off about all of this," she admitted, her gaze clouded with doubt. "But I don't know what to do about it."

Amara placed a comforting hand on Elara's shoulder, her expression sympathetic. "Just be cautious," she advised. "And trust your instincts. If something feels wrong, it probably is."

As Amara spoke, her voice quivered with exaggerated drama, spinning tales of Emilia's legendary jealousy. Her gestures grew increasingly theatrical with each passing word, adding flair to the narrative.

"Elara, you have no idea!" Amara exclaimed, her eyes widening for effect. "Emilia once turned a girl's dress into a flock of angry geese just because she glanced at Prince Cedric's direction!"

Elara couldn't help but chuckle at Amara's over-the-top storytelling, though a hint of amusement danced in her eyes. "Geese? Really, Amara?" she quipped, unable to suppress a grin.

Amara waved her hands dramatically, as if shooing away a swarm of invisible birds. "I'm telling you, Elara, it was a sight to behold!" she insisted, her voice laced with mock seriousness.

Despite her friend's outrageous tales, Elara couldn't deny the underlying truth beneath the embellishments. "Okay, okay," she conceded with a laugh. "I'll be sure to watch my back around Emilia."

Amara nodded emphatically, her expression comically grave. "That's the spirit, Elara! We can't let Emilia's jealousy get the best of us!"