Chapter 28: Bandits and Allies

⊱⋅ ───── 🍂 ───── ⋅⊰

Elara's mind churned with tumultuous thoughts as she grappled with the implications of Beth's revelation. The king dead? It seemed unfathomable, yet the weight of Beth's words hung heavy in the air, casting a shadow of uncertainty over their already precarious situation.

"Who could have sent the army to destroy Ashcroft if not the king?" Elara mused aloud, her voice tinged with disbelief. "Could it be the queen?"

The mere thought sent a shiver down her spine, her stomach churning with unease at the realization of the danger they now faced. If the queen was indeed behind the attack on Ashcroft, then Lysander's life was in greater peril than ever before.

The image of Lysander's lean frame flashed before her mind's eye, his expression etched with determination as he fought to protect his people. Elara's heart clenched with fear at the thought of him facing off against the might of the queen's forces alone.

As they prepared to leave the tavern, Beth's insistence on joining them to Ravenshire caught Elara off guard. "But why?" she asked, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

Beth's expression was unreadable as she met Elara's gaze, her eyes dark and inscrutable. "I have a friend in Ravenshire," she explained cryptically.

"What about your friends here?" Amara asked curiously.

Beth's frown deepened at the question, her gaze drifting towards the door where her seemingly anywhere but here. "Maybe this is the right time for me to leave," she admitted, her tone tinged with resignation. "Besides, they always look down on me." She added, tried to act like it was nothing.

Elara's heart went out to Beth, as she he nodded understandingly, offering Beth a reassuring smile. "You're welcome to join us," she said warmly, her voice filled with sincerity. "We'll stick together through whatever lies ahead."

Beth's response was a brittle smile, betraying the uncertainty that lingered beneath her facade of bravado. As they continued their journey on foot, the weight of her companions' indifference pressed heavily upon her, a stark reminder of her solitude.

After walking for what felt like an eternity, Beth's frustration boiled over, her voice ringing out in the quiet streets with a mixture of disbelief and indignation. "This is ridiculous!" she exclaimed, her tone laced with bitterness as she recounted her friends' neglect.

With determination set in her jaw, Beth made a bold decision, her resolve strengthened by the injustice of her situation. "Since we're forced to walk due to our limited transportation," she declared, her voice dripping with defiance, "I'll go back and take what's rightfully mine—my friend's horse. It's about time they learned to appreciate my worth."

Elara's heart clenched with worry at Beth's audacious declaration, her mind racing with the potential consequences of such a reckless act. "But Beth, stealing from bandits?" she interjected, her voice tinged with concern. "Isn't that... dangerous?"

Amara's eyes as well widened in alarm, her hand reaching out to grip Beth's arm in a desperate plea for reason. "Beth," she implored, her voice trembling with anxiety. "Think about what you're doing. It's not worth the risk."

But Beth merely grinned in response, her expression twisted with a mixture of defiance and exhilaration. "I'm a bandit too, aren't I?" she retorted, her smirk filled with wicked amusement. "It's about time they learned not to underestimate me."

Elara and Amara exchanged worried glances, the gravity of Beth's words weighing heavily upon their hearts. The thought of confronting a group of bandits sent a chill down their spines, the danger palpable in the air as they braced themselves for the inevitable showdown.