Chapter 25: Midnight Escape

⊱⋅ ───── 🍂 ───── ⋅⊰

As they approached the carriage, Elara's heart pounded heavily. She then turned to Theodore, her voice tinged with concern. "Do we wait for Lysander here, or do we meet him along the way?" she asked, her words rushed and urgent.

Theodore remained silent for a moment, his expression grave as he considered their options. "We can't afford to wait," he replied finally, his voice heavy with regret. "We have to go now if we want to ensure your safety."

Elara's heart sank at his words, the weight of their decision pressing down on her like a heavy burden. "But I can't just leave Lysander like this," she protested, her voice trembling with emotion. "He needs me, Theodore. I have to help him."

But Theodore shook his head, his expression firm. "You're not helping him now," he replied bluntly. "If you truly care about him, you'll heed his orders."

Elara flinched at the bluntness yet full of hidden truth in his words.

Theodore's gaze softened, his eyes reflecting the turmoil raging within him. "I know how much he means to you, my lady," he said gently, "but Prince Cedric made it clear that his priority is ensuring your safety. He ordered us to protect you at all costs."

"But I can't just abandon him," Elara insisted, her voice filled with determination. "I have to fight alongside him, no matter the cost."

Theodore sighed, his gaze filled with empathy. "I admire your courage, my lady," he admitted, "but prince made this decision for a reason. We have to trust in his judgment."

Elara's heart ached at Theodore's words as she stepped back. Without thinking, she turned away from the carriage and marched towards the mansion.

But before she could take another step, Theodore moved swiftly, his grip firm as he reached out and gently but firmly pulled her back. "I'm sorry," he said softly, his voice tinged with regret. "But we can't go back. It's not safe."

"You can't do this to me, Theodore!" Elara protested, her voice tinged with desperation as she struggled against Theodore's firm grasp. "Lysander needs me!"

Theodore's expression remained stoic as he settled into the carriage beside her, his eyes filled with resolve. "And he knows that we'll do everything in our power to keep you safe," he replied, his voice steady and unwavering.

Elara's resolve wavered as she finally surrendered, her gaze fixed on the chaos unfolding over the town as the carriage rattled along the road. Each bump and jolt served as a stark reminder of the uncertainty that lay ahead, sending shivers down her spine.

As they made their way towards the outskirts of town, the distant sound of hooves thundered behind them, accompanied by the ominous clatter of armor. Elara's heart pounded in her chest as the carriage came to an abrupt halt, her breath catching in her throat as she trembled with fear.

The king's men emerged from the shadows, their weapons gleaming in the fading light as they surrounded the carriage. Elara's hands shook as she clutched the edge of her seat, her mind racing with panic as she searched for a way out of the impending danger.

Theodore's voice cut through the chaos like a knife, his urgency igniting a surge of adrenaline in Elara's veins. "Run, my lady!" he commanded, his tone urgent and commanding as he gestured for her to flee.

Elara didn't need to be told twice. With a fierce determination driving her forward, she turned on her heels and sprinted through the narrow streets, her feet pounding against the cobblestones as she raced to escape the encroaching danger. The flickering flames cast grotesque shadows that danced along the crumbling walls, the air thick with the acrid scent of smoke and fear.