Chapter 20: True Feelings

⊱⋅ ───── 🍂 ───── ⋅⊰

As the days passed, Lysander's stubbornness proved to be as unyielding as ever. Despite William's best efforts to persuade him otherwise, Lysander returned to his duties with a determination that bordered on reckless. While he may have agreed to refrain from participating in nightly patrols, his presence was still keenly felt as he threw himself into the task of strategizing for their next mission.

But as Lysander threw himself into his leadership responsibilities, Elara found herself growing increasingly distant from the man she had once admired. Every time he attempted to approach her, she would offer a polite excuse and hurriedly make her escape, leaving Lysander to grapple with the palpable tension that hung between them.

It was a painful decision for Elara to make, but she knew that maintaining her distance was necessary for her own sanity. The ache in her heart had only grown more pronounced with each passing day, a constant reminder of the feelings she had tried so desperately to suppress.

Yet even as she distanced herself from Lysander, a part of her couldn't help but wonder if she was making a mistake. Despite everything, she still cared for him deeply, and the thought of losing him completely filled her with a sense of overwhelming sadness.

But for now, she pushed those thoughts aside, steeling herself against the ache in her heart. She couldn't afford to let her emotions cloud her judgment, not when so much was at stake. And so, with a heavy heart, she continued to keep her distance, hoping against hope that Lysander would eventually understand the reasons behind her actions.

As Elara bustled about the makeshift kitchen, the aroma of sizzling bacon and freshly baked bread filling the air, Amara's lively chatter served as a constant backdrop to her thoughts. Lost in her own world of flour and spices, she didn't notice Lysander's approach until he was standing right beside her, his presence impossible to ignore.

Startled, Elara glanced up from her cooking, her heart pounding in her chest as she met his gaze. "Lysander," she greeted, her voice betraying none of the turmoil that churned within her.

"Lovely morning, isn't it?" Lysander remarked, his tone casual as he leaned against the counter, his eyes never leaving hers.

Elara forced a smile, though her heart hammered in her chest. "Yes, it is," she replied, her voice tinged with forced cheerfulness. "Can I help you with something?"

Lysander hesitated for a moment, as if gathering his thoughts. "Actually, I was wondering if I could have a word with you," he began, his tone serious yet tinged with a hint of uncertainty.

Before Elara could respond, Amara, ever the opportunist, interjected with a grin plastered across her face. "Oh, of course, my lord! I'll leave you two alone to chat," she exclaimed, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

Lysander chuckled softly at Amara's childish response, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips as he glanced at her.

Elara could feel her frustration mounting as Amara practically skipped away, leaving her alone with Lysander. She let out an exasperated grunt, her irritation bubbling to the surface as she shot Amara a pointed glare before turning her attention back to Lysander.

Elara's irritation quickly gave way to surprise as Lysander cleared his throat, his expression serious as he spoke. "I've missed your presence," he confessed, his voice tinged with sincerity.

The admission caught Elara off guard, her heart skipping a beat as she struggled to process his words. She could feel the heat rising to her cheeks, a flush of embarrassment washing over her as she fought to maintain her composure.