Chapter 5 - Football

Meeting Maya reminded me of a stage in my life that I didn't think I ever wanted to look at again. I thought I was done with football, the person who was meant to keep me safe on the pitch betrayed me, how can someone trust the same way again? I still wasn't sure if I actually had the strength in my leg to play football, I barely even ran after my accident - well my second accident. There's only one way to figure out your own strength and that's to give it a go, to test it and find out. It had been a couple of weeks since I'd met Maya, and seeing her progress so far with her exercises made me want to see what I could do.

Miles had very quickly become one of my best friends, so I invited him to come play football with me. He did have some questions at first but eventually just accepted my chaos without needing an answer. The pitch I chose was very quiet, next to no one around, perfect for my first time playing football in six years.

"Hey PJ," Miles called out from behind me. I spun around to see his hair bouncing on top of his head, he looked so excited so I carefully kicked him the ball.

"Hey Miles," I replied as he got closer, "Thanks for joining me".

"No problem," he smiled, "One question though... why are we playing football?"

"It's a rather long story," I warned before telling him. He seemed really shocked which confused me, but then got excited that he got to help me with this.

"I'm sorry about what happened to you, but I guess you're changing lives for others now so some positives came out of it."

I guess he was right in some odd twisted way but I wasn't prepared to let him know that, to him he would just be, maybe right. What he did convince me of was that this injury was definitely why I started sports physiotherapy. Although I hate that fact, it's true and I can't deny it.

"Ready," Miles called out.

"Yep," I nodded as he booted the ball as hard and fast as he possibly could towards me which I easily stopped with my right foot before kicking it back with probably more power. He seemed shocked by my ability to kick a football which I simply put down to his limited exposure to the sport. Maybe one day it will just be expected that female footballer players will be seen as equal.

Who am I kidding? The only reason he cared was because this was my first time playing in six years. I started to do some dribbling and even dribbled through his legs a few times before shooting the ball into the top corner of the goal. It felt amazing to be back on the pitch with the sun beating down even though it was really cold. I hadn't fully realised the temperature difference between London and Byron Bay, but I definitely do now and I can't say I'm exactly a fan of the drastic change.

"I think you found your dissertation topic," Miles spoke.

"Huh?" I replied confused.

"ACL injuries in women's sports, right?"

"What makes you think that?" I asked.

"The smile that has been on your face the past couple of weeks since meeting Maya has been bigger than ever; and right now, playing football you've been laughing and grinning at everything. I can't see why you wouldn't. We're always told to write about something we're passionate about as it gets a better response, and clearly, this is your passion, so embrace it."

I started to smile to myself as I rolled the ball between my feet, "maybe you're right. I want to change the world, or at least women's sports and these bloody ACL injuries are not helping. Remember that blonde woman I pointed out to you in the cafe the other day?" I asked.

"Yeah. Leah Williamson, right? I watched some of her highlights, she's incredible," he replied.

"You watched her highlights?"

"Yeah, you seemed like you really liked her so I thought I'd have a look."

"She's incredible, isn't she? Leah tore her ACL in April of 2023 and made her return in late January of this year. It's insane that four of her teammates have also ruptured their ACLs as well as many others in the WSL and around the world, I can't believe it."

"I think you've definitely found your concept, now you need to research," Miles spoke.

I passed the ball to his feet as I continued talking, "It would be amazing, I want to work for a football team, I've never said that out loud, but moving to London has shown me there are endless opportunities. I want to make a change in women's sports and helping players with ruptured ACLs is a good start."

"Peyton, it's an incredible start. What's your favourite team?" Miles asked.

"Arsenal. Red and white all the way," I joked but Miles completely missed it. "That's the team Williamson plays for, it has so many problems with injuries and ACLs, I wish I could go in and fix it but that's something for the dreams".

"Well some dreams come true, you'll just have to wait and find out."

"Quit messin' Miles," I laughed, "come and play some soccer".

"Soccer? Ugh!" he gagged.

"Sorry, football."

"Much better," he replied relieved.

We had started playing late in the afternoon but the sun was still up, now I was running back and forth dribbling a ball under the tall lights that lit up the sidelines. It felt like 'old times' when I'd make a run up the right wing chasing one of my midfielder's through balls. Everything was falling back into place, I was running and playing football, nothing could beat it.

I mean, seeing Maya playing football again would beat it, helping my first ACL patient return would be amazing. Seeing at least one person be hopeful made me hopeful for the future, my future. I had no idea where I was going to go but I was looking forward to it.

"PJ!" Miles called out, "You ready to head home?" he asked.

"Umm not quite yet, feel free to go, I'll head home when I'm ready."

"Are you sure? It's getting pretty dark out here," he said turning to the dark abyss beyond the football pitches.

"I'm sure, don't worry. I'll only be a bit longer, play some more on my own for the memories," I spoke. Miles smiled a bit hesitantly before bidding me farewell and heading to his car.

The silence of the empty pitch overwhelmed me taking me into a mind of its own. I envisioned running up the wing again as if I were in a game again playing pro-level soccer. Imagine if I hadn't ruptured my ACL, and if I hadn't damaged it again who knows where I would be right now. I know for sure it wouldn't be on this pitch attempting to conquer my fears of running, dribbling, or soccer, but I for sure know football would be involved.

Maybe someday in the near future my life will be brought back to something relatively close to my dream. I dreamt of playing in the red and white, but that quickly ended. Let's see where this future will take me.

WORDS: 1206

a/n: another shorter chapter, I need to work to keep updating, if you've come from my other book hope you're enjoying, and if you haven't read my other book feel free to check it out - it's still being updated just less regularly with school