Chapter 30 - The Change

Today was the day that I had to inform my team of the new plans, of my new plans. The only people that I'd told about my recent offer and decision were Leah, Noah and Steph. Steph was very quickly becoming one of my close friends and she was also my tie to the Matildas. When I told her that I wouldn't be going with her for the International Break, I could see her face immediately shatter. 

"Where are you going instead?" she asked. "Please don't tell me you're going to the Lionesses."

"I'm not going anywhere in particular, actually," I replied whilst wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "I'm taking on a new opportunity so that I can help not just one team, but many teams. Don't worry, I'll be in France and I'll be cheering you guys on from the sidelines in every game, I promise."

I didn't intend for Steph and me to become such close friends when I first arrived at Arsenal. I had always been able to tell that Leah and I were going to be close in some way or another, but Steph was someone who snuck up on me a little. When I first arrived I barely met her because she wasn't part of the 'ACL Club'. But when I brought Gabe in on that first day I watched her face light up at the sight of a young five-year-old running into the common room.

Stephy and I have had many discussions about our lives, this team, and obviously Australia. Each chat we had we grew closer, and when she helped Leah surprise me in Melbourne I knew that she cared for me.

"I'll tell you more about it later, but even if the team doesn't support me, will you?" I asked.

"Yes, of course, my girl," she said giving me a hug and kissing my cheek. 

"Thanks, Stephy," I mumbled out. 

* * *

Standing to the side of the meeting I could see all the girls watching Jonas speak at the front of the room. They were seated in rows and rows of chairs that ultimately looked like a school assembly. The meeting started with the usual discussions for the final game of the season. Sadly we weren't high enough on the ladder to have a chance at winning, but we still had to play our final game and go out on a high.

After all the tactics and game insights were shared between the manager and the players, I was invited up the front to share the plans for the team and the academies. It was quite nerve-racking watching all their eyes track me as I moved from the side of the room to the front. 

"Thanks, Jonas," I said pacing back and forth at the front of the room. "Hi guys," I began. I panned across the room and saw Leah and Steph in the back corner smiling and giving me a thumbs up, and I knew it would all be okay. "So, I have a few things to talk to you all about today. The first is about a new initiative that the 'ACL Club', as they still ask to be called, Jonas and myself have come up with."

I watched as their faces changed to curious expressions and I realised I should probably relieve them from their stress. "I was planning on saying something inspirational about your dreams, and visions, but I'm thinking that you understand it enough, so I'll tell you something about my dreams. For those of you who don't know, my dream was Arsenal, but I wanted to be in your seats. I've learnt not to turn something I really want into a dream because for me it never comes true so I never told myself that working at Arsenal was an option. Leah was the one who took a chance on the random Aussie girl in a random coffee shop and I'm forever grateful."

"I've been in London for six months, and I am amazed that after only being here for half a year I have the privilege to introduce you to the future of Women's Football. Upon your return to Arsenal, we will be commencing joint training sessions with various academy teams - primarily girl's teams. These sessions will be mostly gym sessions where you will be working with the young players to help them feel confident in themselves." I watched as the girls' faces lightened at the mention of the academy teams and getting the opportunity to be involved. "This is your chance to make a difference here and in Women's Football, so take it," I told them and watched as smiles graced their faces.