Chapter 14 - Another New Job

"Good morning, Gabe," I said as I rubbed his back to wake him up. He murmured a response but I couldn't quite make out what he was saying. "Do you want to get up and get some breakfast?" I asked.

He quickly woke up and started to nod, so I scooped him up and out of bed to carry him out to the kitchen. "Gabe?" I said to get his attention.

His little head turned up from the bowl of cereal he was devouring to make eye contact with me. We'd been in London for a week at this point, and I'd taken Gabe around to some of the local parks and even introduced him to the boys in the apartment next door. He seemed to be liking the adjustment, but I had to go to Arsenal today and that meant he was starting his first day of school. He was turning six in only a couple of months, on the 16th of May, meaning he was required to go into Year 1.

"You ready for your first day of school Bubba?" I asked him.

"I guess," he replied. "Are you going to pick me up after school?" he asked. Over in Australia Noah used to pick him up after school because I was always working, but I made arrangements with Jonas that I would be required to leave at 2 pm. Jonas wasn't sure why I had to leave, I'd just told him 'personal commitments', but I wanted to make sure I could pick Gabe up at 3 pm.

"Yep. I've laid your clothes out on your bed so you can go get changed when you're ready and we'll get going in 30 minutes, deal?"

Gabe agreed and placed his bowl near the sink before racing upstairs to change. I'd made sure to get his bag and clothes ready before he woke up, as well as all of my own stuff. I'd been given my uniforms on the day I accepted my contract meaning I had all my gear ready to go, and I was now just waiting on Gabe.

The school was a short drive from home meaning we got there early. Classes weren't meant to start until 8 am, but we got there 15 minutes early so I could walk Gabe in. Although it was just a primary school, the schools back in Australia were nothing compared to this massive mansion of classrooms. 

Gabe's old school had small classrooms and a large number of demountable rooms, but it was all I could really afford over there. With my new job at Arsenal and the support from Spencer and Ally, I was able to send him to a nice school with a good reputation. 

The halls were daunting but once Gabe saw the playground all fears were resolved. We met the principal first, Miss Turner, and she showed us to Gabe's classroom where we met his teacher, Mr Snell. After much convincing Gabe let me head to work, so I said goodbye kissing him on the cheek and a tight hug, and promising that I would be there to pick him up at 3 pm.

The 45-minute drive up to the Arsenal training centre was much longer than I remember it being. It must have felt shorter with Leah's company because today it felt like it was dragging on forever, and I'm not sure that it could be put down to Leah speeding.

The centre finally came into view and I pulled into a parking space. Scanning my ID on the drive through the gates was a surreal feeling, I am really working at Arsenal - it's literally a dream. As I walked in I saw some of the girls trailing in making stops in the locker room. I was going to head straight to my office, but I stuck my head into the girls to see if I could find Leah. 

The blonde was sitting in her cubby fiddling with the ring on her finger like usual when I called out her name. Leah's gaze turned towards me and her lips curled into a faint smile. I gestured for her to come over and she obliged, scurrying across the room and pushing me into the hallway.

The door to the locker room shut behind her and she gradually reached out to hug me. I wasn't sure why she seemed so emotional, but I knew at some point I'd figure it out. I held her close letting her take her time before she pulled away.