CHAPTER ONE

Lavender Apartments were luxury for the middle class and "only temporary" for the upper class who settled in until they got their actual dream home or stayed for a few months until they left the city entirely. The apartments were called lavender because outside it was brown and lavender, and inside the manager sold lavender-scented oil made by the owner of the building to maintain the appeal. He was awful at selling the product but great at disciplining the tenants when they were overdue for rent or being uncooperative with the rules, so the owner kept him along. Andy had animosity towards Aysia, but Aysia was indifferent. She didn't care about him at all.

               Aysia was walking into the building, as usual, to find Andy running over to stop in front of her to block her pathway. Aysia was carrying a bag and chewing something in her mouth as she held a half-eaten hot dog in her other hand. Aysia was a young woman who kept to herself and did not want to get involved with someone like Andy because he was self-centered and bothersome, but Lavander Apartments was her only option at the time. Compared to Andy, Aysia was nice and tall, and she wore oversized clothes while Andy was short and idolized skinny jeans and tight turtlenecks. It wasn't the oversized outfits Aysia wore, it was the height difference that irked Andy but there was another reason why Andy didn't like Aysia and Aysia didn't know what it was.

             "How are you today Aysia?" Andy asked with a smug look.

              "Great. Gotta gets going. See you Andy," Aysia said as she tried to brush past him. However, Andy blocked her again, causing their shoulders to collide. Aysia's lips tightened at the impact, and she stepped back, trying to smile at Andy. However, the corner of her lips quivered as she grew annoyed. "What do you want, Andy? As you can see, I would like to go back up to my apartment to enjoy my food."

            "Correction! It is Colby's apartment, and you are just a low-life freeloader he took in." Andy sputtered out. Aysia scuffed. "Now this will be the last time I tell you. Stop leaving paint on the railings on the stairs and the elevators or I will have you fined and kicked out of here."

           "Fine. Anything else?"

            Andy was surprised she was so understanding. He cleared his throat and straightened up his posture. "That will be all. You may go." Andy left back to the desk as Aysia watched him as she bit into her hot dog.

           "Everyone always crushes on Colby even the pain in the ass landlord." Aysia thought to herself before going to the elevator button to go up.

          "And Aysia, don't you dare miss the Lavender Gathering today!" yelled Andy from afar.

          Aysia put up her hand and waved as she walked into the elevator facing her back to Andy. As Andy settled into his seat at the desk he sighed. Andy knew Aysia would not want to go since Aysia was known to not show up to any events for the building.

         "Why aren't you going?" Colby asked as he leaned over the countertop in the kitchen and Aysia was sitting on the couch eating a bag of chips.

           Aysia was upstairs with her best friend and roommate Colby. As Andy said, Colby was the one who paid the bills and allowed Aysia to live with him. Aysia had no job and nowhere to go so as a best friend Colby allowed her to room with him until she figured things out, but months happened to pass. Colby and Aysia had known each other since high school. Colby was two years older than her and also saw her as a little sister. Throughout their high school years, Colby protected Aysia and even after high school, he was there for her no matter what.

           "Sounds boring," Aysia replied uninterested.

           "I heard a new tenant will be moving in and they will be at the meeting."