Chapter 7

It was four days before Nan's ten-year-old physician deemed her well enough to leave William's chamber, much less his bed, and during that time, the child had completely ignored Nan's declarations that she was well enough to do both. And in all that time, despite her being bedridden, Nan had somehow managed to avoid answering William's question of payment. In part, because of the diligence with which his staff seemed to wait on the girl, bringing her food, hot water, fresh linens, whatever she needed whether she asked for it or not, but mostly due to the constant interruptions of her ill-mannered brat.

Never in all his life, had William disliked a child as much as he disliked hers. He was beginning to think the boy had not been sleeping as soundly as he seemed when William had questioned Nan upon her waking. His timing was always too spot on, bursting into the room only moments after William had entered. Monopolizing her attention, while William wanted nothing more than to toss the brat out on his ear and lock the door behind him. It was only when the boy was around that Nan smiled. That she laughed. It was only with him she softened.

Even in the small moments when William was alone with her, her guard was up, her face placid and unreadable. Just as it was now as she stood in his study, wearing a dull green dress. The rags she'd been wearing when he had brought her here he'd had burned days ago. The dress, while an improvement over her former attire, did not suit her at all. The sleeves were too long, the bust too big, bagging horribly about her chest, and the color was not at all flattering against her dark hair and pale skin, William noted as he entered his study, watching as she gazed about the room.

Oddly enough, despite her position, she did not seem out of place there. Her eyes were not wide in wonder or fear; her movements were not stiff or clumsy. Her whole being was easy and relaxed, as though she had been in his study a hundred times before. Absently, she glanced about, looking at the paintings, the books, the furniture.

William had told Baringer to have her brought to his study before noon, hoping to cease this wretched waiting and have his answer without interruption from her brat. Who should have been in the kitchen receiving his lunch from Cook at that moment, keeping the child busy and well away from his adoptive Mother.

"I see my staff found you something to wear," William spoke, announcing himself as he entered. Startled, Nan turned to face him. "It doesn't suit you." He remarked as he sat in the dark, plush leather chair behind his desk.

"There's a reason people say beggars can't be choosers, Sir," Nan replied.

"Anything of interest?" William asked, glancing at the far wall of his study, where Nan had been looking when he'd come in. A great deal of the wall space in William's study was made up of bookshelves filled to the brim with their intended items.

"I've not had much call for readin'. So can't say that I do." She gave a light shrug. "Mr. Baringer said ye wanted to see me?"

"Indeed. I want your answer." He stated, not bothering to elaborate on what he wanted the answer to, just so he could gauge her reaction to his words. Idly, he wondered if she'd forgotten their discussion or if she would try to pass it off as though she had. She'd not brought the topic up since he'd made mention of it, telling him she was not comfortable with the idea of paying him. Though, she'd seemed content enough with owing him the two times she had made mention of it.

"Aye, I thought as much." She nodded, looking to the floor, a resigned sigh escaping her lips. "I've not much to offer ye, Sir. Certainly, no money to pay ye. But I can work as hard as any if you'll have me on."

"I have no need for another servant Nan, even one that would work for free. My staff is well in hand." William waved away her offer.

"Then, I doubt you'll be wantin' me skills for healin'," she replied, rolling her eyes with a sigh at his single slow nod. "Then, why don't ye tell me what it is ye'd accept as payment? I'm done guessin'."