Chapter 21

Nan came awake slowly, so wrapped in the warmth and comfort of the Sandman's ethereal realm that she found it difficult to pull herself from it, but she did. And the more aware she became of the world around her, the more she noticed the oddly solid heat pressed to her back and the unusual sensation of movement against her breast. Opening her eyes with a frown, she glanced down at the object that was kneading her breast. Her frown deepened to a scowl when she found the object was Sir William's hand.

For a moment, Nan had forgotten where she was and in whose bed she resided. To find Sir William had joined her there did not surprise her. To see him slumbering next to her did not shock her. But the feeling of ease that followed her waking did bewilder her somewhat. Until now, she had not shared a bed with any man other than James. And finding that sharing a bed with Sir William felt as natural to her as doing so with James startled her. Though she had never awakened to James groping her in his sleep.

Lifting his hand by the wrist, she moved the limb from her breast and placed it at her waist. The hand seemed to have no issue lying there until she felt Sir William press tighter against her back. His hand slipped from her waist to wrap around her middle. She could feel Sir William's face bury itself deeper into her hair, nuzzling it as small, inaudible words slipped from his lips. His breath warmed the back of her neck, sending pleasant shivers down her spine.

Still, she could not stay within Sir William's hold forever. Eventually, Jamie would wake up and come to her room, and if he did not find her there, he would search for her. She could only imagine his reaction if he saw her in Sir William's bed with the man's arms wrapped around her. Prying Sir William's hand loose from her side, she rolled to face him, amazed that he was still sleeping with all her movement. Until she faced him, and he promptly pulled her on top of him as he rolled to his back in one swift turn.

Wide-eyed and a little more than surprised by his sudden actions, Nan stared down at her hands lying flat against his bare chest, clinging to him like a cat might cling to the branch of a tree.

"I take it you're awake then?" Nan spoke, her words caught between a statement and a gasp, though the question was more for her benefit than his. When her surprise subsided enough for her to sit up straight and see his cocky grin, she could not help the smile that formed within her mind.

"It would be a shame to sleep when such a vision is placed so..." He glanced down at her legs straddling his waist, then quickly returned to her irritated expression with a wider grin. "Conveniently upon me."

"Yes, I can feel your convenience," she commented with a casual glance over her shoulder. "But now is not the best time for such activities," she added, pressing her hand against his chest as she made to remove herself from him, stopping when his hand covered hers.

"You came to me last night telling me to take you as my lover and then fall asleep before I could take advantage of your order. And now, you tell me I am to have none of you." He scoffed, glaring at her lightly.

"I'm telling you, now is not the time. If you wish to have me tonight, then you may." She shrugged. "But not now." She replied, shaking her head as she moved to leave him again, only to have him stop her again. With a deep sigh, her shoulders slumped, and she glared down at the man she sat upon so carelessly.

---------------

William could not help his shock as he ran her words through his head once more. The ease with which she dictated the schedule of their love both astounded and infuriated him. Did she think he was so desperate for her touch that she could issue when he was allowed to?

"Tonight! So you'll only have me in the black. When my face cannot disgust—" Nan ceased his words as she grabbed his jaw and squeezed it between her thumb and fingers.