Chapter 17

When Mrs. Borde and her assistants finally left, it was nearly a fortnight earlier than William had expected. And the total for Nan and her boy's new wardrobe was barely half what he had set aside for them. Indeed, where Nan was concerned, William barely spent a thing.

Several times over the last few weeks, William had sent Hoss to town with Nan, hoping to hear some item had enticed her. Ribbons for her hair, fabric for a dress, perfume, jewels, combs, anything, but there had been nothing besides the odd sweet or toy for Jamie or some tool for her craft. And while things had been better between them, William wanted more. Sadly, he only knew the ways of material to lure a woman into giving him what he wanted. And Nan, he would give anything. If only she would ask!

For hours, William had been staring unhappily at his desk, pondering the problem before him instead of reading his latest cargo manifest. He'd been working himself into a fine temper as he tried to think of some way to curry a more intimate relationship with Nan, to do something that would encourage her to feel for him, even just a little, what he felt for her.

And by God, he was going to kill that child if he did not stop screaming! William thought furiously, thrusting up from his chair and marching to the door of his study. Flinging it open, he looked down the hall and found Nan's boy running towards him. Blind to William's presence as he ran from the two footmen trying to capture the rambunctious devil child.

It was this blindness that prompted William's next action as he thrust his arm out in front of the boy, keeping it strong and straight. Colliding with William's outstretched arm only to be hoisted over William's shoulder like a sack of potatoes. A wordless, withering glare caused the two footmen to come up short upon seeing their Master's displeased expression. Turning about, William stepped back into his study and slammed the door behind him, ignoring the shouts and insults spouted by the wriggling, foul-mouthed brat on his shoulder, whom he promptly dumped to the floor.

For several seconds, William glared down at the boy, intending to cow him into silence. Much like Nan, the child only glared back at him. William was beginning to wonder about the intelligence of bringing not one but two people into his house who did not cower at the very sight of him. They stood their ground and dared to stare back at him with as much ire as he used upon them. Honestly, he wondered if bravery was becoming a new fashion or if stupidity had gotten more cunning in its choice of disguise. How could two beggars, with nothing but their lives to lose, be so unaffected by him, knowing who he was and what he could and possibly would do to them? Perhaps his answer was in his question. What more was there to worry about when all you had was your life?

When that final thought struck William, his glare softened ever so slightly. Even as Jamie got to his feet and ran across the room to the fireplace. Brandishing the fire poker from its stand, he wielded it like a sword as he stood ready to fend off Sir William and whatever evil he had planned for Jamie.

"You'll not touch me, ye tosspot!" Jamie shouted at William as he glared at the man towering over him—looking like the monstrous remains of some forgotten man whose kindness was bought only with Nan's presence. However, Jamie had often pondered how long the man everyone called the Black Knight would remain kind for just the price of Nan's presence.

Jamie may have been a child to anyone who looked upon him, but his age had not saved him from the actions of others. He had stopped being a child shortly after his abandonment, and if his previous family lived, he did not know, nor did he care. All he knew for certain was that if Nan had not found him, his life could have been far worse, and for that, he was thankful to her in every way imaginable.

And in his gratitude, he would defend the only person who had shown him such kindness. Who had protected him, even tried to shelter him from a world he knew was cruel and unfair. No, he would do all he could for Nan, even defend her against the Black Knight. A name Jamie was beginning to question the validity of, since not once in his entire time at Stonebrook had Jamie seen the infamous cruelty the Black Knight was famed all through Ashfern for. Certainly, he stomped, yelled, and threw things at his servants, even at Jamie, a time or two, but never had he heard more than a snarl or snap at Nan. Not once had he seen Nan cower in the face of this man or behind closed doors, though such behavior would not stop Jamie from being wary of the man with his ugly red scars and silent, angry eyes.