『❀✧❀✧❀✧❀✧❀✧❀✧❀✧❀✧❀✧❀✧❀✧❀✧❀』

As the carriages passed through the gates, Aurora could see Hogwarts getting closer through the rain, with its many lighted windows blurred and shimmering. Lightning flashed across the sky as their carriage came to a halt before the great oak front doors. People who had occupied the carriages in front were already hurrying up the stone steps into the castle. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Aurora jumped down from their carriage and dashed up the steps too, looking up only when they were safely inside the cavernous, torch-lit entrance hall, with its magnificent marble staircase.

"Wow, it's gorgeous," Aurora said in awe.

"Blimey," said Ron, shaking his head and sending water everywhere, "if that keeps up the lake's going to overflow. I'm soaked — ARGH!"

A large, red, water-filled balloon had dropped from the ceiling onto Ron's head and exploded. Drenched and sputtering, Ron staggered sideways into Harry, just as a second water bomb narrowly missed Hermione and burst at Harry's feet, sending a wave of cold water over his sneakers into his socks and making him jump back and bump into Aurora's chest with a grunt. He blushed profusely at the contact and apologized while the girl giggled in response. People all around them shrieked and started pushing one another in their efforts to get out of the line of fire. Aurora looked up and saw a little man in a bell-covered hat and orange bow tie floating twenty feet above them, his wide, malicious face contorted with concentration as he aimed again.

"PEEVES!" yelled an angry voice. "Peeves, come down here at ONCE!"

A tall, severe-looking woman whose dark hair was tied up in a bun underneath her ginormous, pointy hat had come dashing out of what she assumed was the Great Hall; she skidded on the wet floor and grabbed Hermione around the neck to stop herself from falling.

"Ouch — sorry, Miss Granger —"
"That's all right, Professor!" Hermione gasped, massaging her throat.

"Peeves, get down here NOW!" barked the Professor, straightening her pointed hat and glaring upward through her square-rimmed spectacles.

"That's Professor McGonagall. She's Deputy Headmistress and head of Gryffindor House. And the ghost is Peeves, he's the Poltergeist of our school and he's a bit of a jokester," Harry whispered into Aurora's ear as she nodded in understanding with an amused smile graced upon her lips.

"Peeves, get down here NOW!" barked Professor McGonagall,straightening her pointed hat and glaring upward through her square-rimmed spectacles.

"Not doing nothing!" cackled Peeves, lobbing a water bomb at several fifth-year girls, who screamed and dived into the Great Hall. "Already wet, aren't they? Little squirts! Wheeeeeeeeee!" And he aimed another bomb at a group of second years who had justarrived.

"I shall call the headmaster!" shouted Professor McGonagall. "I'm warning you, Peeves —"
Peeves stuck out his tongue, threw the last of his water bombs into the air, and zoomed off up the marble staircase, cackling insanely.

"Well, move along, then!" said Professor McGonagall sharply to the bedraggled crowd. "Into the Great Hall, come on! Except you," pointing a finger at Aurora.

"I assume that's my cue to leave. Bye, Hermione! Ron! Harry! I hope to see you soon," Aurora said, nodding at each of the Gryffindors before following McGonagall.
The two slipped and slid across the entrance hall as they made their way to a room that Aurora assumed to be the Professor's. The older woman unlocked the door and ushered the girl in to take a seat.

McGonagall broke the silence first, "Welcome to Hogwarts, Miss Nelson. I trust your journey here was uneventful. Biscuit?" She held out the platter to the nervous teenager who took a cookie eagerly.

"Yes, ma'am. It was quite smooth, thank you.""Excellent. Now, I understand you come from America. How are you finding the transition to Europe? I hope it's treating you well."
"It's... different, ma'am. But in a good way. I enjoyed the scenery and tour destinations."

"That's lovely. I'm glad you're enjoying your time. Now, to discuss schooling matters," Aurora nodded along as the Professor spoke.
"As we both know, you're a new student here at Hogwarts. Like Ilvermorny, we have houses that each of our students gets into in their first year here. You, however, are an exception as you seem to be starting your fourth year here.

"The Sorting is very important because, while you're here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You'll have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its noble history and has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you're at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. Our caretaker, Mr. Filch, should be here shortly with the Sorting Hat, and we'll sort you into your best-fit House."Almost immediately after Professor McGonagall finished her sentence, a rheumatic man with hunched shoulders and a hunchback hobbled into the office. He had a horrible, pouchy, and pasty face with bulging, pale eyes, along with sunken, veined cheeks with a brown and dirty pointed hat sitting in his hands. McGonagall stood up quickly, took the hat, and thanked the man before shooing him away.

"Now, I believe it's time to sort you into your house."

"I agree," Aurora replied as the old woman placed the hat atop her head.
"Ah, another new student. Let's see where you belong. Hmm... interesting. You seem to have a lot of loyalty and dedication. Definitely a hard worker. But there's also kindness and a willingness to help others. Yes, quite the puzzle you are. But there's one house that seems to fit you best, despite your diverse qualities," the low voice startled Aurora but settled down quickly, "Better be, HUFFLEPUFF!"
Aurora felt the hat being lifted from her head and looked up at the Professor. She thanked her new teacher along with the hat before being shooed away to the feast.