二 ♡ Chapter 2

~♡~

~♡~

Uchiha Kiyume wakes in a hospital bed, her entire body aching, and her eyes wrapped in thin bandages.

She sits up, relaying the previous night's events in her head. And slowly, tears begin to slack through the bandages and down her cheeks once more.

"Ah, you're finally awake."

A voice approaching her bed. She can hear some rustling as the person settles down in the chair by her bedside before a gentle pair of hands reach round the back of her head and carefully unwrap the bandages covering her eyes.

Kiyume blinks, adjusting to the sudden light exposure. Once her vision clears, she can finally get a face to match the voice she's been hearing for the past couple minutes.

The man has tan skin, brown hair tied back in a short ponytail, his eyes a warm, chocolatey brown. There is a scar that runs across his nose and he's wearing the Konoha chunin uniform and a shiny blue hitai-ate tied tight around his forehead. His expression is kind and he smiles as he addresses you.

"Good morning Kiyume, my name's Iruka. I'm going to be your caregiver from now on."

~♡~

It took Kiyume 3 days be discharged from the hospital, Sasuke had woken up almost an entire day before her. His body recovered much quicker due to his advantage in chakra and years.

~♡~

Walking through the streets of Konoha, Iruka's rough yet comforting hand firmly holding yours, it all just feels a little surreal.

The letter Itachi gave her is clutched tightly against her chest like it's her life support, her only anchor of consolation.

It's one of, if not the only belonging Kiyume has with her. Everything else is back at the compound, and the young Uchiha doubts she would be able to find her way around that labyrinth with or without a guide to help her.

They eventually arrive at a small yet cosy house, painted red and green with a muted blue front door. Iruka produces a key from his pocket and takes a minute to unlock the door as Kiyume admires the flowers in the planters on his windowsill. Chrysanthemums. Vibrant in beautiful bloom.

"Welcome home, Kiyume." Iruka finally says as he opens the door, revealing a hallway floored with dark hardwood planks, and walls plastered with pale green paint. There is a number of books and scrolls laying around on various cupboards and tables along with a large variety of mini cacti.

She takes her time to remove her shoes before entering, achieving a slight smile from Iruka then steps inside the house.

"You hungry? You've been in the hospital for almost a week now, you're bound to be starving."
he continues, walking through to the small kitchen.

This room is floored with white tiles, cold underfoot making the small girl shiver. The cupboard are all painted a similar green shade, except a little darker and more vibrant.

He opens some cupboards and takes out a saucepan and a packet of udon. Within a few minutes he places a steaming bowl of udon noodles on the table, gesturing for Kiyume to sit down and eat.

She stares at him for a moment longer then tentatively sits down on one of the zabuton cushions, her legs tucked neatly beneath her, and picks up the chopsticks sitting next to the bowl.

"Itadakimasu..." she murmurs quietly before tucking in.

The faint sound of eating fills the room and Iruka smiles again, sitting down opposite from her. He waits for her to finish before asking a question.

"How do you feel?"

"Hm?"

"How do you feel? Y'know, after all this. Such a series of negative events can have a serious impact on someone emotionally... I just want to make sure you're ok."

Kiyume stays silent. She doesn't really know how she feels. She should be devastated right now, crying and sobbing like when her brother died less than 3 weeks prior.

The sadness is still there, of course it is. But one other emotion overwhelms it all. For the first time in Kiyume's life, she feels alone.

However, instead of answering the question, she decides to ask her own.

"Where's Sasuke?"

~♡~

a/n: see? Longer chapter like I promised. This took way too much researching my god 😭

~♡~