Chapter 6: The Abyss of Misery

"Calliope?" Bastian's voice echoed around him. He stood as if on a stage surrounded by darkness with only a spotlight on him. He could feel her panic. Being in her house and seeing what she went through only made him feel that much closer to her. He knew he had to get to her. Her fear was so palpable. His chest was racing just from feeling it.

Turning around, he called out her name again. His sensitive hearing heard a whimper somewhere close. He adjusted his course and hurried into the abyss. There was a distinct pull that he always had in these dreams. He always knew he could find her.

Had he not been careful, he probably would have tumbled over the small figure curled into the fetal position on the floor. If a heart could shatter into a million pieces, his certainly would have in that moment. Unfortunately, this wasn't the only time he found her in a similar position. He hated it when he found her like that, only wishing he could take away some of the pain and trauma she experienced.

"Oh, Calli..." he sighed, kneeling down in front of her trembling frame. He carefully gathered her in his arms, holding her close. He shifted so he was sitting down, resting her in his lap with her legs draped to the side of his lap.

Sobs racked her body. If he hadn't known what transpired in the last forty-eight hours, he would have been terrified he was about to lose her, that all of her willpower to live had been taken from her. His hand stroked her hair, trying to lull her into some form of peace.

He was frustrated that not only had he let Calli down by not searching for her as diligently as he should have. He could have protected her. He had fallen in love with this poor dream girl and hadn't done the one thing a partner should do: protect them.

"Shh..." he hushed her, rocking her gently until her sobs grew softer, and finally, her breathing became more even. He couldn't bring himself to ask her what she could remember. That wouldn't help her right now, especially after just calming her down. "I'm here," he murmured into her hair.

"Se... Bastian?" She whispered. Her voice sounded raspy and a little horse. She was confused about how she had gotten here when she couldn't even remember sleeping. Something had been happening that made her scared and upset. Her mind couldn't quite recall what that was. Instead, she focused on him and how he made her feel more steady like always. He was her solid, unwavering stone in her chaotic mind.

Calliope finally pulled back a little to meet his gaze. "I-I'm scared." She admitted in a small voice. Why was she scared, though? She trembled against him.

"It's okay to be scared," Bastian comforted her, "I'm on my way to you. I'll find you soon, and I promise you won't be alone for much longer." He reached up and cupped her cheek. Her usual vibrant skin was dull and grayish, as if she was suffering from disease. He wished he could do more, give her some of his strength.

"O-okay," she blinked back the tears threatening to fall again. She didn't want to feel like this anymore. Her skin crawled, and her heart wouldn't stop racing.

"I know this is hard, but when you wake up, I need you to try to stop running, okay? It'll help me get to you faster." He explained to her, hoping there was some way she could fight her newly unleashed wolf and just take shelter.

"I'm running?" Calli asked, tilting her head to the side. She wasn't exactly known for doing a lot of sports. Especially with how she was feeling, why would she run? Her entire body ached. She felt like she could barely move. 'Am I experiencing fight or flight?' She couldn't help but ask herself. It was as if being there with him cleared the fog from her mind. "I don't know why I'm running..." she paused, attempting to remember why she was so scared. Then again, why was she always scared when he found her upset? Her mind drifted to her father, and suddenly, she remembered how her cheek burned when her dad brought his open hand down. Her heart started to race again. "My dad-"