CHAPTER NINE - Broker Gets Out Quicker Than Expected

> Broker POV.

Broker didn't feel like singing anymore. It was beginning to get lonely again. He had been in the Dumb Idiot Zone for many months at a time, but something just felt a little... off. He was getting very bored, but most of the other BanLand Residents heckled his off-key singing.

He sighed wistfully. How fun it would be to annoy BanHammer right now.

"Well, well, well. Look who's found themselves in the slammer."

Broker frowned, quickly shoving his small metal scraps in a pocket. Bootsteps tap-tap-tapped along the harsh brown stone, stepping calmly over a small stream of lava. A weird rasping noise bounced off the rocks, getting closer.

"Who's there?"

"Don't worry your sweet little head. I've come with an offer."

Broker rubbed his eyes, squeezing them shut. "Nope. I'm not disclosing any of my past crimes or any personal information. I'm a locked safe, sucker!"

The rasping noise was now right in his ear. Cold, stiff breaths blew on the back of his head. "Don't assume that's what I'm here for. I'm much too smart. I already know about your crimes. I've just come to offer you a bit of grace."

Right.

A body pressed against the cage from behind him, a chest heaving in breaths and icy hands gripping the warm bars. "Or are you too loyal to your double-crossing diva?"

"My mouth is zipped. Explain yourself first." Broker said quickly, struggling to smooth out the tremors in his voice. "Wow, you sure love that creep factor, huh?"

He laughed nervously. No one joined in.

"I know your skill and fine worksmanship--though it pales in comparison to mine--would definitely serve a greater purpose. Whatever Scythe is paying you... whatever she's offering you... I'll double it."

A lump formed in Broker's throat. He turned, just a fraction, eyeing the hot pink light from behind him. A steely, dark eye glinted right back at him. A gas mask puffed smoky fumes, concealing the stranger's mouth. "All I ask is that you come with me and help me give my buddies a few upgrades. Whaddya say?"

Broker cringed, biting his lip. It was so, so tempting. Scythe didn't seem to need him at the moment. Maybe she wouldn't mind if he just went and hung out with a new crowd once in a while...

And that meant more friends! 

"Okay," he reached a hand out of the cage, but the figure had stepped back. "You might want to close your eyes for this. Gets a little bright. And don't panic--you'll wake up when we're there."

"Wait, wha--"

The figure's hand flashed bright pink and all of a sudden smoke exploded inside the Dumb Idiot Zone. Broker keeled over, coughing and hacking so hard he thought he might throw up his whole skeletal system. There was a purple blur shifting around, which sort of looked like BanHammer but Broker couldn't see it through his tearing eyes. The purple blob yelled in alarm, the stranger raised a glowing fist, and then they were gone.