⚠️Fathoms Below (Twisted Wonderland): Grim's Origins

⚠️TW: Animal Cruelty, death in war/combat, unethical experimentation on animals (Major Spoiler Warning)

So, if you've played Twisted Wonderland before Disney fucked shit up, you're probably aware of this motherfucker shown in the photograph: Grim. He wants to be a great mage, but we are really given too much of his backstory, so I made him one. This has implied animal cruelty and I got the idea from the theory depicted in the YouTube video, so credits go to the content creator known as princessmacarons9347 on YouTube.

Grim had a family before he met the MC(s) of TWST, Maleficent found his parents, a male direbeast and a female cat who could speak in the language of the fae but were in need of food, adopted them, and gave them to Meleanor as companions for an unborn Malleus, something they agreed to in exchange for food, shelter, and mutual companionship from the Draconias. Meleanor helped Grim's mom give birth to him, so Grim has a connection to Meleanor too, hence the shape of his tail. Meleanor taught Grim and his parents things like how to read and write, but Grim is unaware of human customs because he was raised by a direbeast father, a feline mother, and the fae, and he doesn't know much else due the fae not knowing much about humans for a different reason. When Meleanor overblotted and passed away/was killed in war, Grim was taken away by the senate and given to STYX. He was then made to consume blot due to being the hybrid offspring of a cat and direbeast and placed under an ancient curse so he could consume blot without being hurt and his memories were erased.

Grim, however, was able to retain at least one memory thanks to a note he was given. The note read that if something happened to his family (his bio parents) and guardians (Meleanor, Levan, and Maleficent) to go to NRC for help. Grim, despite being ignorant of the customs of humans, other peoples, and even some aspects of the customs of the fae he was raised by, assumed this meant he was capable of more than being a blot consumer and was meant to be a great mage, so he broke out.

STYX, embarrassed that Grim broke out of their facilities where none had succeeded before, covered up the incident and denied the existence of Grim while trying to create another creature like him to consume blot. The problem is that no living creature is meant to consume blot, even those with a natural resistance to it or a curse meant to protect them, so they just ended up engaging in animal cruelty and had to stop so others would not get suspicious. Grim did not remember his time at STYX because he repressed his memories of that tune due to the trauma he endured.

We meet him around the start of the game, where he's actually managed to break into NRC for the first time in the hopes of becoming a student.