Chapter 4

Thou shalt not steal

You know those people who write down all their passwords in a notebook? Bishop Loverde was that guy

And Roman had the vault code!

1303!

Seriously, it was almost way too easy.

"All right, 1303." Big Lou jotted down.

"The real question is how are we going to rob the safe while Thomas and Loverde are inside the church?" Roman blurted out as soon as the thought crossed his mind.

"I have an idea how to get rid of Thomas and Loverde."

"How?"

"So just a few hours before Mass we're gonna jam the elevator, then you'll lead Thomas and Loverde in there and get stuck together with them." Big Lou explained. "Let one of them call the emergency services department and..."

What Big Lou was saying was they make a bear trap.

"You'll have your solid alibi and I get enough time to load up the car and getaway before anyone notices."

In Roman's mind this plan could either go two ways:

a) Either Loverde or Thomas could refuse to take the elevator.

b) The elevator could be unjammed before Big Lou got the chance to leave the building putting both of them at risk.

Roman scoffed. "Have you been watching too many Road Runner cartoons lately?"

"Do you have a better plan?"

"This can't be our plan A."

"Well, give me something better to work with, genius, because we don't exactly have time here."

Reluctantly, Roman muttered, "Fine. I'll do my part. Just don't screw up yours."

"I won't."  

Explained like that, everything about the heist seemed like a plot to a B-side movie.

Except it all worked out.

Seeing all those zeros reflecting in his offshore account he'd opened a few months ago, Roman quickly realized he was now a character in the A-side of the movie. He was freaking rich.

And what did rich people do? They made daring decisions to get even more richer!

When you're rich, you don't sit on the sidelines at a casino party.

Millionaires get in the game.

Of course that's the first thing Roman was going to do with his newly acquired wealth. Gambling. And for the past hour it hasn't been going too well.

"Roll the dice."

God just this once give me something.

"Seven out."