Unsuspended

Evelyn awoke, the sunshine coming from the window bathing her face in warmth. She yawned and stretched her arms upwards. She glanced at the digital clock on her nightstand. 8:34 am. Not her earliest, but not her latest time she woke up.

"Well there's one good thing missing school," she sighed to herself, heading to the bathroom. "I don't have to wake up early."

That was where Evelyn did her morning routine, which consisted of her brushing her teeth, washing her face, and using skincare. Instead of the hurried motion she usually did when preparing for school, she took her time and gently rinsed her face.

Evelyn walked towards the kitchen, still in her pajamas, which her mother permitted when it was the weekend. She didn't see her mother anywhere as she opened the pantry and grabbed a box of cereal. Evelyn assumed she was still sleeping. She knew that her mother was busy with work at night.

As she grabbed a bowl, the memory of last night struck her. Sneaking off to the graveyard. It had been risky to do so.

Evelyn had snuck back in alright, though when she entered through the window it made a little noise. No one came, which was good.

She poured the cereal in the bowl, followed by milk, and sat down at the table. Another memory had come to her. Aspen. She remembered his words right before he left the graveyard.

I have my ways.

What on earth was that supposed to mean?

She heard feet shuffling to the kitchen, and she turned to greet her mother, who was in her work clothes. Her mom let out a little gasp. "Evelyn? Why aren't you ready yet?"

"What do you mean?" Evelyn asked, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"You- oh!" Evelyn's mother sighed. "I forgot to tell you. Headmaster Esmond sent me a message early this morning."

"What did it say?" Evelyn asked absent-mindedly, thinking about the night before.

"It said that he made the mistake of suspending you and that you were to go back to school today."

Evelyn stared at mother, dumbfounded.

"Wait what?"

"I said that he is telling you to go back to school and requested that you go by the office as soon as you go in."

"Oh, ok." She pushed the cereal around the bowl. "Oh!" Evelyn repeated as she realized what her mother had just said. She raced around her room trying to get ready.

"I'm going to be taking you in five minutes in the car. You can't go on the bus today since you're late. So Evelyn Rose, you better be ready by then. Understand?"

Evelyn nodded and went to her room. As she opened her closet and picked out a pastel yellow sweater, she was still pondering over the decision. In an instant, the conversation between her and Aspen came back to her.

"Aspen." she said aloud. Of course. Evelyn didn't believe Aspen would actually change the Headmaster's mind. Despite his obnoxious behavior, he didn't seem powerful. Surely he couldn't do anything.

She jumped around while struggling to put on her socks and when she finally got it, she exited her room to find her mother waiting for her.

"Come on, Rosie, let's go."

It was a quick and quiet drive to the academy. Evelyn had looked out the window the whole time, and her mother was fixated on the road.

"Remember," her mother reminded Evelyn. "You have to report to the Headmaster's office immediately. It doesn't matter how late you are to your second class. Headmaster Esmond can give you a pass."