18. A Twist in the Tale

Roohi intently looked at him before she sighed her distress away. She shook her head before arranging the pillows around him properly in a way so that he won't hurt himself. Rohit looked on startled. What is she doing. Shouldn't she be angry or hurt with him and rightfully so. Why is she being so calm about everything and why is she not complaining to him about him keeping everything hidden.

"Because I ain't no fool or insensitive enough not to know you Mr. Poddar" he heard his wife saying and saw her standing there squinting her eyes, her hands on her hips eyes boaring into his very soul and unknowingly gulped hard. He was learning it the hard way that Roohi has been going very easy around him and never actually let him know her side.

Roohi clicked her tongue seeing him unresponsive again. She caught the hold of his hands and sat down on the bed near him.

"Listen Rohit I am not angry with you and why would I even be hurt when I clearly don't have a right, kis hak se tumpe naraz rahungi main aur kyu jabki-" Roohi blabbered out not knowing the effect of her wrong choice of words. She just meant to say that when she herself has his from him she doesn't see any right to be angry with him. Rohit who heard it felt hurt that she thought she still doesn't have any right to him.

"Why are you even here then jab tumhe baat karne ka ya gussa hone ka hak nahi hai toh mere saath kyu bethi why don't you just go away" His outburst took her by surprise. Rohit looked at her intently with eyes filled with hurt. He was trying to convince himself all the while that things would be fine but with the way things came out and the way she had been ignoring him for the past few days were now making him question himself.

"Rohit-" She began saying carefully to shocked with his words. She never meant those words and she didn't even know the reason behind his words.

"Don't Roohi I know I was wrong in not telling all of it to you but I don't even deserve this, kuch din pehle Tak toh sab theek tha na toh phir tum mujhe achanak se avoid karne kyu lag gayi first I thought kaam ka pressure hoga par tum baki sabke saath toh cool hona mujhe hi kyu ignore kar rahi ho aur ab keh rahi ho that you don't have any right on me Maine tumse pehle din be poocha tha I am asking you again are you really really happy with me" Rohit bursted out on her. At that point it wasn't just his hurt speaking but also his insecurities. He was abandoned once and he feared to be in that place again and not at least by the woman he loved so if she is not happy he will let her go but would not let her abandon him.

Roohi took deep breaths holding the side table trying to process everything he just said. She closed her eyes painfully as she realised she was the reason behind his pain and it was because of her he was so hurt. She composed herself, she can't let him dwell in the pain and hurt. She knew it would not do him any good.

"It's not about trust I know that Roohi par I at least want to know if it is really so hard for you to be with me" Rohit asked, exhaustion evident in his voice.

"It's not like what you are thinking is to be Rohit can I at least talk please" Roohi pleaded with him but at that moment Rohit could not just hear anything from her.

"Just answer me one thing were you forced to marry me Roohi" he questioned her and Roohi froze for a second. Was she forced, in a way yes. She was indeed forced to buy when she met him once all of her doubts got cleared and she herself wanted to go ahead. But in a way she was indeed forced to.

"Please let m-" She desperately tried talking but was cut off by Rohit.

"Yes or no Roohi" his words turned stern this time. He was not in heart to listen essays he just needed one single answer.

"Ro-"

"Yes or No"

"I don't know" She confessed at last. She didn't thought that the whole discussion was going to take this turn neither did she knew that in her insecurities she would end up hurting him. From the time they have been married it was Rohit who tried his best to make her comfortable. Even it was being her friend, or giving an ear to whatever she spewed even if it was nonsense. He made her feel like she was worth the care and attention, Her friends and brother did the same but coming from a stranger whom she knew just for two months made her feel different. He was the one who after a long time made her feel like a human, a woman worth every moment of their togetherness.