prologue.

The sun cast a warm, golden glow over the hills of Feldcroft, bathing the landscape in a soft, ethereal light. Sebastian and Anne sat side by side on a grassy knoll overlooking the picturesque scenery. They laughed and talked animatedly, the sound of their voices mingling with the gentle rustle of the breeze.

As they caught up on all the days they had missed, Sebastian and Anne shared stories and memories, their bond growing stronger with each passing moment. They joked and laughed, and their voices mingled with the sounds of nature. But Anne's eyes showed worry, silently recognizing the tough times Sebastian had gone through without her.

"How are you faring?" She asked rather worriedly "I heard you've been in and out of all sorts of trouble."

Sebastian leaned back, propping himself with his arms "Well, you know me. Got to keep things interesting."

"I guess things have been quite boring for you boys since I've left." She thought it was a fine time to jest, but the expression in Sebastian said otherwise. He missed his sister too much. And the fact that he couldn't be there for her for each passing day made everything terribly worse.

"It has. We've all missed you, Anne." He tried to put on a smile

"I've missed everyone as well." She smiled back But Anne saw through his facade, recognising the strain that weighed heavily on her brother's shoulders. She reached out, placing her hand on his. "You don't have to pretend with me, Sebastian. I know it hasn' been easy."

"I just wish you could come back to school."

"Me, too. But we know I can't."

"But maybe you can. I haven't given up."

Anne truly wished Sebastian would give up. It is futile to look for a way to reverse the curse that is slowly withering her away. She's told him so many times that she's made her peace with it. But Sebastian only did what he do best– being stubborn.

"I am fine here, Sebastian. I really enjoy being in Feldcroft. It's home after all. And I don't mind Uncle Solomon." She tried to reassure him.

Sebastian scoffed, "You mean the Devil?"

"Cut him some slack, would you? He's giving his all to take care of you and me."

"I just wish he wouldn't be so annoying all the time." He mumbled.

Despite Anne's attempts to reassure him, Sebastian's tense expression persisted. She understood that his frustration stemmed from more than just annoyance with Uncle Solomon. With the weight of their shared tragedies bearing down on him, Sebastian's burdens were too heavy for simple reassurances to make everything disappear.

Having lost their parents and now facing his sister's declining health, Sebastian's struggles were undeniably immense. Anne empathised with the gravity of his situation.

"Alright, enough with the sad talk. These visits are meant to cheer me up." Anne pouted "Anything fun and interesting that's worth sharing with me?"

"Well, I got to hand Prewett his own ass in a duel during Professor Hecat's class last week. That was really fun." He shared. "Although, the same thing happened to me just a few minutes after."

"You? Sebastian Sallow? Defeated in a duel? Who did finally get to do the honour?"

"This new fifth–year. She's a Slytherin, too, so I should've expected that she'd be good." The glimmer in his face began to surface.

"Ah.." Anne nodded in acknowledgement "The new fifth-year."

"You know about her?"

"Yes. Ominis told me in his letters, and he also told me about the reckless activities you guys often shared together."

"He's such a tattletale." He complained.

"Hey, he's just worried." She leaned to nudged Sebastian "Should I be, too?"

"Gods, no." Sebastian quickly dismissed her "She's.. amazing, Anne. You guys would get along so well. She can fight, she's smart, funny, and– Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You like her." Anne teased his brother with a cheeky smile.

"What? No." Sebastian's cheeks flushed crimson, a telltale sign of his embarrassment

"Yes, you do." Anne chuckled, nudging him playfully.

Sebastian rolled his eyes, but there was a hint of a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Oh, shut up."

Anne's teasing grin only widened as she leaned in closer, her voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "Your mouth might be denying it, but your eyes don't lie, Sebastian."

Sebastian's attempt to protest was futile as Anne continued to poke fun at his obvious crush. Despite his embarrassment, a small smile tugged at the corners of his lips, betraying the truth in Anne's words.

As the teasing banter continued between the siblings, Sebastian couldn't help but wonder if Anne was right. Perhaps there was more to his feelings for Kali than he cared to admit at the moment.