chapter 4

Kali had managed to turn the dim and dreary corner in the Undercroft into something more proper and comfortable. She argued that since the three of them spend a lot of their time here, might as well make it feel a little more homey, or so at least she tried.

She arranged blankets and pillows in inviting clusters on the stone floor. Soft cushions adorned with vibrant patterns added a splash of colour to the otherwise drab surroundings.

The Undercroft was no longer a mere place for them to experiment with illicit spells; it had also become a sanctuary, a refuge from the hustle and bustle of daily life.

The boys were initially sceptical, but once they saw the finished space, they couldn't resist its charm. Now they've all found a safe space to lay back, share secrets, take naps, and even play gobstones, just for their little trio.

Sebastian and Kali sat cross-legged on the cool stone floor of the undercroft, engrossed in a game of gobstones. Sebastian had patiently explained the rules to Kali, showing her how to aim and flick the marbles just right.

It was Kali's first attempt, but to Sebastian's surprise, she seemed to have a natural talent for it. With a flick of her wrist, she sent her marble spinning across the board, knocking Sebastian's marble out of the circle and scoring a point.

Sebastian's eyebrows shot up in disbelief as Kali let out a triumphant laugh, her eyes dancing with mischief.

"Beginner's luck, I suppose," he muttered, trying to hide his astonishment.

Kali grinned, teasing him as she lined up her next shot. "Or maybe I'm just a gobstones prodigy," she joked, her voice laced with playful sarcasm. With another flick of her fingers, she sent her marble flying, scoring yet another point against Sebastian and ending the game in victory.

"Aha! You owe me a butterbeer, Sallow." She proudly exclaimed.

"No way! You Must've cheated" He retorted with a playful glare.

"Excuse me? I won that fair and square." She retorted, feeling slightly offended at the accusation. "I've never taken you for a sore loser."

He scoffed as he picked up the gobstones and kept it in his robe pocket, "We'll settle this with a rematch after Ronen's class so Ominis can be the judge."

"You want Ominis because you think he will favour you." She said as they made their way to the cosy corner to relax before the next class started. "Well think again, because Ominis has a new favourite."

They sat side by side on the mound of pillows, their shoulders touching lightly. Kali stretched out her legs while Sebastian crossed his. The contact made Kali feel a bit uneasy, in a good but nerve-wracking way, but she kept it to herself.

"I'm starting to think that adding you to this group was a mistake." He joked.

"No, you don't." Kali nudged Sebastian playfully "You like me."

Sebastian felt a strange flutter in his stomach and a sudden acceleration of his heartbeat. It was as if those three words had struck a chord deep within him, echoing with a truth he couldn't ignore. Because when she jokes around like that, with that pretty face of hers, how can he not like her?

"Yeah, I do." His answer sounded more like a confession rather than a simple agreement.

Sebastian found himself mesmerised by the way Kali's green eyes sparkled in the soft glow as if it was reflecting the warmth and contentment he felt in that moment. The way her hair tucked behind her ear, slightly revealing her ivory neck. She looked so damn beautiful.

His gaze felt like it lingered a little too long for Kali. She couldn't help but to feel a flutter of anticipation.

"What?" she asked.