Chapter 1

" I promise I won't leave Valentina. You have my word. "  That's what they all said. One after another they all promised that they wouldn't leave me. Then they left, and it hurt more every single time. But what hurt even more was that they said they'd visit. They said they'd call. But they never did. And I waited for them, every single day. Waited for them when I woke up in the morning, waited for them to be there after school, but they weren't. And after 3 years I stopped hoping and I stopped believing that they would stay true to their word and come back. Because I truly did miss them, but I had lost hope.

And sometimes, in the back of my head, I still have that small bit of hope that still believes they'll come back for me. And it hurts like hell when they don't.

That's why I'm thankful for my best- only friend Sofia Brown. Because she never left. She stayed. She shared my problems, my worries, because she had similar family issues. I met her when I was 11 and ever since then we were inseparable.

And all that led up to us smoking on a rooftop talking and laughing with each other, care free even if it was just until sunrise.

" Hey Soph, do you- do you ever miss the people you use to love ? Even though they hurt you..?
" Yeah I do, but I really wish I didn't because it only hurts people like us in the end. "

As the sun rises over the horizon we just watched with mezmeration at how it has so much light and warmth over our cold broken earth. And it does every day, for the rest of our lives. And that's why I love the sun. Because it won't just leave us. It will stay forever. The sun won't judge us, it gives us comfort. The sun is the opposite of people. While it radiates warmth, comfort, light, and care; People will judge you, people will hurt and and most of all, people will leave. As soon as they get bored they will just leave you. The sun won't. And that's what I love about it.

" Val I gotta head out to make sure my mom isn't passed out outside of our apartment but I'll join you here at.." As she said that, she looked down and checked the time on her black damaged phone. " Around 10pm, K ? " " Sure, bye Soph " As I said that she had already started to climb down the fire escape to not wake my "mom" passed out on the floor of rhe living room and gave a little wave before disappearing into the alleyway behind my apartment. If you can even call it that.

It's just two bedrooms one bathroom with the wallpaper peeling off the walls, beer bottles splayed around the floor of rhe living room and kitchen, the water not working along with the heater because the bills weren't payed, and cracks everywhere. On the floor, on the roof, on the walls, basically anywhere you can imagine a crack, there is one there. As I was about to go get dressed there was a call on our old home phone so I went to pick it up.

" What " I blankly asked not caring what they had to say. " ...Valentina ? " When I tell you my jaw dropped I mean it dropped "Wow, Looks like you finnaly decided to call, what do you want. " I said trying to put my ' I don't care ' facade back up. " Hi! I was wondering if uh.. we could visit for Thanksgiving? " "No. You can't" I said / yelled into the phone and hung up. I heared it ring again but I just ignored it and went back upstairs.

Who do they think they are thinking they can just waltz back in here after they left 8 fucking years ago! When I went upstairs I climbed onto the fire escape to smoke a joint. I hate that they think they can just come back after all this time and act as if nothing even happened. As if.

Isaac's pov:

As I paced around my bedroom with my phone up to my ear the only thought running through my mind was " Will she pick up? " Just as I was about to give up I heared her voice answer the phone.

" What. " she said blankly. That's weird she used to be super kind to everyone.. "...Valentina? " I asked hopefully even though I knew it was her who answered. The line was silent for a few seconds and I thought she had hung up until she responded " Wow, Looks like you finnaly decided to call, what do you want." she answered coldly. I shivered a tiny bit then answered. " Hi! I was wondering if uh.. we could visit for Thanksgiving?" I stuttered conviently forgetting the speech I had previously memorized just for this call. "No, you can't." She answered and hung up.