Prologue

From the tender age of five, I, Amaya Reigh Delos Reyes, learned the harsh reality of life's fragility. Standing by my mother's bedside, I clung to my father's hand, my small fingers intertwined with his as we watched the chaos unfold before us.

The sterile scent of the hospital mingled with the heavy weight of despair that hung in the air, casting a pall over the room. Doctors and nurses bustled about, their urgent voices blending into a cacophony of noise as they fought valiantly to save my mother's life.

But despite their best efforts, my mother lay motionless, her once vibrant spirit overshadowed by the cruel grip of illness. Her frail form seemed lost amidst a sea of medical equipment and sterile white linens, a stark reminder of the fragility of life.

Beside me stood Kyle, a childhood friend whose presence offered a glimmer of solace amidst the chaos. Together, we bore witness to the heartbreaking scene unfolding before us, our young hearts heavy with the weight of uncertainty and fear.

As the minutes stretched into hours, I clung to the hope that somehow, my mother would open her eyes and smile at me once more. But deep down, I knew the truth. The woman lying before me was not the mother I once knew. She was a shell of her former self, her spirit fading with each passing moment.

As I stood by her bedside, grappling with the harsh reality of her impending departure, I vowed to cherish every precious moment we shared, holding onto her memory with all the strength I could muster. For even in the face of death, love endures a beacon of light in the darkness that guides us through the storm.

But amidst the pain and sorrow, there was one thought that burned bright within me, a promise I made to myself in the depths of despair: I would not end up like my mother. Not because I didn't love her, but because I couldn't bear the thought of leaving my father alone, adrift in a sea of grief and loss. And so, with determination in my heart, I vowed to fight with every ounce of strength I possessed, to defy the cruel hand of fate and carve out a future for myself, one where love would triumph over despair.

____________________________________________________________________________

╥ ╥