Chapter 4

"OK, I'll check it later. Goodbye,"

I woke up with my body felt heavy and unresponsive, as though weighed down by invisible chains. I saw my Dad talking to someone on his phone nearby, his expression a mix of concern and relief. Turning my head, I noticed a familiar figure sitting beside me, his eyes were closed.

"Claid?" I croaked, my throat dry and scratchy.

Opening his eyes, Claid's gaze met mine, and a flicker of emotion passed through his eyes before he spoke. "Hey, Maya. You're awake. How are you feeling?" he asked, his voice laced with genuine concern.

Confusion clouded my mind as I struggled to piece together what had happened. "Where... where am I?" I managed to whisper, my words barely audible.

"Maya! Thank God you're awake," Dad rushes over me and held my left hand. Kitang-kita ko sa mga mata niya ang pag-aala.

"Dad... This... This isn't true, this is not happening," I said and cried. He probably already knew about this.

"Shh... It's okay Maya, It'll all be okay," Dad tried to reassure me pero hindi umepekto. Natatakot ako, hindi ito 'yong future na pinapangarap ko. noon.

"How's your feeling, Maya? Do you feel any better? Hmm?" Claid spoke. Hawak niya rin ngayon ang kabila kong kamay at pinipisil-pisil ito.

Claid's grip on my hand tightened, his concern palpable as he waited for my response. Tears welled up in my eyes as I struggled to find the words to convey the depth of my fear and frustration.

"Dad... I'm sorry, I didn't tell you," I finally managed to choke out, my voice barely above a whisper.

Dad's expression softened, and he reached out to gently brush away the tears from my cheeks. "It's okay, Maya. You don't have to apologize. We're here for you, always," he reassured me, his voice filled with compassion.

I nodded, grateful for his understanding, but the guilt still weighed heavily on my heart. If only I had been more vigilant about monitoring my health, perhaps this could have been avoided.

"Rest for now, Maya. We'll go back to Manila when you're feeling better tomorrow. I love you," Dad said gently, his voice filled with warmth and tenderness that made me stop crying.

Dad left the room after that. Naiwan lang kami ni Claid sa loob ng room. Napansin kong kanina pa niya ako tinitignan. Why is he looking at me like that?

"Hey... Are you ok?" I asked. Bigla ata siyang bumalik sa reyalidad dahil ilang beses niyang ipinikit ang mga mata niya bago ulit nagsalita.

"Uh..." He hesitated, struggling to find the right words. "You... I was worried," he finally managed to say, his voice laced with genuine concern.

Huh? Worried? Ano daw?

"Why are you worried? We're nothing but a stranger to each other anyway,"

"Oh, right!" He said and chuckled.

"Why are you here by the way? How long did I slept?" Tanong ko at sinuri ang loob ng kwarto. May mga prutas at pagkain na nakalapag sa mesa.

"You were unconscious for four hours,"

"Really?" I checked the clock and it was already 10 P.M.

"Then why are you still here? Aren't you in a party with your friends?"

Claid hesitated for a moment, his expression shifting as though he were wrestling with his thoughts.