Chapter I - Cleave & Splinter

Across the barren, decayed wastes of an abandoned ghost town marched one of the rarest creatures in all the world. An Elven Knight wandered alone through the shallow husk of a village lost to time. On her face was an unmoving scowl. A ghastly scar stretched from one cheek to the other, crossing the straight of her nose. The caressing winds blew her messy, cherry red hair to one side, her mint green eyes faintly piercing through the gaps in her bangs when she came to a stop. The lone warrior grasped the hilt of the massive greatsword on her back, it's blade rivaling her own height when stood directly up. Her eyes shifted towards the crumbling homes surrounding her.

 Her eyes shifted towards the crumbling homes surrounding her

(Elf pictured, art by me.)

"Easy now." She heard a man say from behind her. The Elf drew her blade and turned in one swift motion, pointing it at the stranger.

"Explain yourself, at once!" The Elf demanded.

The man raised his hands, but he stood exactly where he was. "What's it to you, sharp ear?"

The Elf bore her teeth, tightening her grasp on the hilt of her weapon as she glared at the human. "What was that?"

"Lighten up." Said the stranger, lowering his hands. "I'm Colt, I run a mercenary company a few towns south of here. Saw you wanderin' around with that mighty big sword and thought, phewie, we could do some real damage with that thing."

"He's not for sale." The Elf said.

"Is that right?" The man whistled, summoning a troupe of mercenaries from hidden spots all around the town. "Y'see missy, we here in the Toxic Rot got a way of gettin' the things we want. So I'll put it to ya like this. We can do it the easy way, or the hard way."

"Really? You boy scouts think you're capable of defeating a Knight of the Kristenalian Guard? Ha, that'll be the day." She mocked, keeping an eye on the encroaching mercenaries, who drew swords of their own, though none of theirs matched the height and broadness of the Elven Knight's blade.

"Wouldn't be the first time." Colt said. "Think yer all that, but when yer all alone, out where no one can hear ya scream, it's just a simple numbers game then." He drew his own sword, bracing himself for the encounter. "Gotta say, didn't think any Elves were still around, let alone such a beauty as you. Who knows? We might end up taking more than your sword."

Colt's men laughed at his remark. It was quiet as the Elf stared down the mercenaries. A gentle wind kicked over some stones as the woman calculated her opening maneuvers.

"Alright, boys. Get 'er!" Colt ordered, his men attacking on his command.

The Elven Knight reeled her sword back over her shoulder, then swung, cutting open the guts of the closest mercenary before stepping forward, raising her sword for an overhead swing, and dropping the massive blade into the dirt. Colt's torso had been split open. He swayed, eyes fluttering as he wrestled for control, only to fall back onto the ground. The Elf reset her stance, facing down the remaining mercenaries, but they merely stared.